Who we are
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We advise across the spectrum of legal matters including high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions, contentious matters and all aspects of risk. We deliver innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, domestically and internationally. We provide clear legal advice that spans the globe whilst tackling the cultural nuances between jurisdictions. Our lawyers understand how to coordinate and manage matters in the jurisdictions most relevant to our clients.
At Slaughter and May, with over 1,200 partners and staff worldwide, everyone's contribution is valued, and we all enjoy an open, friendly and supportive environment. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader. To support our employees in achieving their professional development objectives, we offer an unrivalled variety of learning and development opportunities to everyone, as well as a highly competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. As a result of the coronavirus pandemic, the firm moved to a new hybrid approach to working, which now sees our people working between their respective remote environments and our prestigious Headquarters at One Bunhill Row, in the heart of the City of London.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for an organised and engaging individual to join us as an Administrator, initially on a 12 month fixed term contract (‘FTC’).
Role overview // We are looking for an organised and ambitious Administrator, to work as part of a team within our legal groups based at the firm’s Head Office in London, initially on a twelve month FTC. The role is to work Monday to Friday, 9.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m., in the office and alongside a wider team of 6 other Administrators and approximately 87 Executive Assistants (‘EAs’); as with all client-led industries, a degree of flexibility is required. The role will report to the relevant Practice Support Manager (‘PSM’).
The successful candidate will provide administrative support across our legal groups, playing a critical role in undertaking routine administrative tasks to directly support the wider teams. This role is an excellent opportunity for someone who is keen to learn and develop in an administrator role, providing exceptional service within a busy and professional environment.
The key responsibilities of this role are set out below and there may be others which are not listed. You may be required on occasion to work outside our normal working hours of 9.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m..
- Draft simple emails and create standard form letters, using house styles and templates.
- Amend and engross correspondence, engagement letters, documents, agendas, reports, presentations, diagrams and spreadsheets.
- Assist EAs with document automation.
- Update worklists.
- Create courier request forms and prepare appropriate packaging.
- Collect and distribute internal and external mail.
- Process expense claims (Chrome River).
- Enter fee-earner time (Carpe Diem).
- Index and bundle files/documents for archiving.
- Create spine labels and front sheets for lever-arch folders.
- General administrative support, e.g. bundling, indexing, photocopying, printing and scanning.
- Book meeting rooms, restaurants and taxis, and arrange refreshments for internal meetings.
- Monitor stationery cupboards and liaise with Facilities to ensure fully and appropriately stocked at all times. Maintain up-to-date knowledge in relation to internal and external travel policies and procedures, check country specific safety advice and travel news via the firm’s travel insurance provider’s travel resources website.
- Assist with the organisation of events and hospitality, to include collating RSVPs, arranging restaurants/venues and any necessary equipment, attending events and supporting the preparation and distribution of name badges.
- Attend and contribute to team meetings as required.
- Assist EAs in maintaining and updating contact information within the firm’s Client Relationship Management system (Dynamics).
- Build strong working relationships with EA team and wider fee earner team.
- Build strong and collaborative relationships with business services teams and maintain effective and efficient use of business support services.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing within peer group and wider team, and provide team support to cover absences and during times of increased workflow.
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of, and ensure compliance with, quality standards and the firm’s policies in general.
- Undertake additional ad hoc duties to support the group as necessary.
Candidates for this position must have:
- Minimum of 4 GCSEs at Grade 5/C or above, one of which to be English Language.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Excellent attention to detail and use of grammar.
- Good typing speed, maintaining accuracy and pride in their work product.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work well within a team/be a strong team-player.
- A solution-focused attitude.
- A collaborative and supportive approach in relation to the business and its initiatives, and a willingness to get to grips with new technology, taking the training opportunities provided by the firm.
- The ability to manage and prioritise a varied workflow, and to remain proactive and flexible at all times.
- The ability to anticipate and identify potential problems and escalate appropriately.
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to multi-task, keep calm under pressure and work to tight deadlines.
- A willingness and confidence to make suggestions where appropriate, and to be adaptable and open to change.
- Professionalism and integrity, displaying high standards of professional ethics.