We are currently recruiting for a BD Manager (Corporate) to join our Marketing department on a permanent basis.
An integral member of the BD team for our Corporate practice, this role will involve providing both strategic and day-to-day practical business development support and advice to the Corporate/M&A team, in various sectors including. Supported by a shared BD Executive and two BD Assistants, the role will help drive the BD strategy for these top tier practices and provide oversight to the BD Executive in executing the day-to-day business development tasks.
This role collaborates closely with the firm’s sector groups on a cross-practice basis. It is critical the teams have the highest quality BD resource to help them raise their profile, help drive the business, capture market share and convert the opportunities available in this competitive market.
The role involves working with the partners on their business development activities: winning new business, client
relationship management, and business planning. The person will work with other marketing experts, such as PR, content and events teams, to raise the firm’s external profile in these and others areas.
- Senior BD Manager Corporate, London
- London Corporate BD & Marketing team (including four further BD Managers, Project Manager, BD Executive, and two BD Assistants in Belfast)
- London and international M&A partners, lawyers, professional support lawyers and PAs
- Peers across the wider global Business development, Marketing, CRM and Communications team
- Other senior support professionals (finance, professional support lawyers, Peerpoint, legal tech)
Role and responsibilities
- Business planning and advice – provide focus to the delivery and direction of BD activities. Play a key influencing role with partners regarding M&A business development activities and projects.
- Proposals – take a lead role in preparing proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements for London based partners. Help partners on their presentations and encourage the teams to follow best practice. Input into documents prepared by other practice groups and offices requiring the relevant product/sector expertise. Work with colleagues to capture client feedback, capture proposal outcomes and prompt fee earners to act upon feedback.
- Client relationship management – assist partners, associates and BD colleagues in the management of strategic client relationships and coordinate client targeting efforts across the Corporate practice. Work with the central CRM team on specific client tactics, including secondee debriefs, client presentations and training, etc. Develop an in-depth knowledge of the key clients in the market. Ensure regular sharing of information on client activities across relevant practice groups.
- Client listening – work on client listening programmes as appropriate; carry out client listening sessions with key clients. Assimilate the feedback into reports for the relevant partners. Proactively work with the partners to ensure that the feedback in reports is actioned appropriately.
- Management – responsibility for junior member(s) of corporate business development team to ensure the efficient delivery of proposals and other marketing initiatives and providing coaching and mentoring to develop the individuals.
- Market and client research – to support business planning activities.
- Client events and hospitality – proactively identify appropriate client entertainment opportunities with fee earners and the CRM team. Track marketing spend against clients and individuals/teams within clients to ensure activities are aligned with overall strategic priorities.
- Internal communications – oversee the maintenance of a flow of market/client intelligence (e.g. pipeline deals, major players, market shares, key client contact moves and developments) to partners and associates.
- Campaign management – work with partners, senior associates and the PSL team to develop and execute integrated business development campaigns. Plan roundtables and client seminars to raise awareness of our expertise in key product areas. Liaise with the Communications/PR team to develop a stronger external profile.
- Additional projects – Opportunity to assist in firm wide, local, departmental or practice area projects.
- Substantial relevant marketing experience (within a professional services organisation or in the sector, where the individual frequently worked with management of individual practice or service lines).
- Existing knowledge or keen enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the M&A market (in terms of the markets, the deals, asset classes, key players, competitive landscape and the actual structures and approaches involved in these areas).
- Proven track record of achieving product-line and sector business objectives.
- Excellent communication skills - both written and oral.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills - with partners, key associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers. Ability to motivate fee-earners to engage on business development projects and to work with them to develop and implement business development plans.
- A proactive approach, creativity and tenacity
- High attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Professional, proactive, creative and enthusiastic approach to work and interactions.
- Ability to motivate, develop and inspire both team and lawyers to develop business goals and change behaviour where required. Draws on experience to manage change.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure.
- A commercial and ambitious individual with a proven track record in a similar professional services environment, driven to work in a high performance business development team at a global law firm where commercial insight, developing strong personal relationships and achieving tangible results are valued and recognised.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned our reputation as a firm that leads the industry and opens up new possibilities in law. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. We are defined by our consistent commitment to creating a collaborative and supportive working culture and investing in your progress. We’re committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional ambitions. Joining our global team, you’ll discover what collaborating on a global scale really looks like; you’ll learn how to help drive change; and you’ll be at the heart of an organisation that’s defining the future of law. If you’re ready to find a place to thrive: It’s Time.