Department: Managed Legal Services – Delivery
Location: Flexible. The firm operates a hybrid working model and expects employees to work from our offices, at least 3 days per week.
Job Title: Head of MLS Legal Delivery
Grade: Legal Director
Hours of work: 9.30am – 5.30pm
Reports to: Head of MLS Delivery
Pinsent Masons is a multi-national purpose-led law firm with a long-standing reputation for delivering high-quality legal solutions rooted in its deep understanding of the sectors and geographies in which its clients operate. With over 1,700 lawyers operating from 22 locations throughout the UK, Europe, Asia Pacific, the Middle East and Africa, Pinsent Masons is well-placed to advise on complex multi-jurisdictional transactions across a full range of legal disciplines.
In recent years it has achieved more tier 1 rankings in The Legal 500 UK guide than any other firm and been recognised among the most innovative law firms in Europe by the Financial Times. The firm has significant international credentials in the global energy, infrastructure, financial services, science, industry and technology sectors, and we provide a full range of legal and other professional services to clients across these sectors.
Pinsent Masons is a professional services business with law at its core and stands out in particular for its innovative approach to service delivery. This is why in 2020 the Firm brought together its suite of professional services to form the new 'Pinsent Masons Vario' Group. This is a global group providing a range of professional services including flexible services, legal project management, consulting and technology, diversity and inclusion consultancy, and managed legal services (MLS).
Purpose of the role:
With the increasing client demand for innovative delivery solutions, the Board of Pinsent Masons tasked one of the five practice groups (Vario Group) with developing and scaling up the firm's managed legal service (MLS) capabilities. This has led to rapidly expanding existing specialist MLS services, while also developing new solutions which can be deployed to support a larger and more diverse range of common or traditional matters.
This is a newly created role to support the growth of MLS and provides the opportunity to take a leading role supporting the building of a new line of business. MLS focus areas include contracting support, conveyancing, claims management, company secretarial, document review, class actions, among others
As Head of MLS Legal Delivery you will act as a strategic leader focussed on executing the legalities of our delivery model; while building relationships for continuous growth in our service lines and providing support to matter partners as internal customers. The role will be a challenging, varied role at the cutting-edge of change in the legal and law firm sector.
- Primary responsibility for the delivery of a full range of legal services, including oversight and management of the MLS Delivery services, acting as legal adviser on BAU and project matters, leading on strategic casework and managing contracts and engagement terms of our service catalogue.
- Support continuous improvement initiatives focusing on operational delivery processes with an aim to better leveraging technology solutions and embracing Lean Six Sigma methodologies. This includes workflow, quality assurance, risk management, escalation management and compliance.
- Work with the Solutions and Business Development teams to support the development of MLS capability and maintain market relevance.
- Onboard new matters and deals as they progress through to the end of the selling process, supporting the expansion of MLS services across the wider firm.
- Single point of contact for escalation management for the Managed Services delivery.
- Take ownership for several concurrent development and/or strategic projects, these could relate to, for example, changes in law, process technology updates, Vario Group development and delivery model.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of Managed Legal Services career frameworks, ensuring that training and development needs are aligned to resourcing requirements.
- Legal qualification - E&W qualified
- Previous experience of working at a senior level within or closely with, a legal service provider, a large in-house legal team or relevant time in a large law firm
- Previous experience practising as a lawyer
- Experience of delivering innovative legal solutions either within a legal team, law firm or alternative legal service provider
- Can demonstrate track record in Managed Services delivery and developing and growing long term, high value client relationships
- Experience of managing a large number of people, ideally within a ‘shared service’ or ‘delivery centre’ setting
- Experience of working with teams in multiple countries
- Proven track-record of developing innovative solutions to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of legal functions with a significant process and/or technology element
- Ability to understand a client’s business problems from first principles and develop innovative solutions
- An open and collaborative approach to working with a diverse set of stakeholders
Personal Qualities / Behaviours
- Credibility and gravitas
- Unstinting energy, drive and enthusiasm.
- Supportive and consultative in approach
- A clear thinker who stays calm under pressure.
- Exhibits approach and behaviours consistent with the firm’s core values of ‘Approachable’, ‘Bold’ and ‘Connected’, pragmatism and innovation.