White & Case is an elite global law firm serving leading companies, financial institutions and governments worldwide. Our long history as an international firm means we are perfectly placed to help our clients resolve their most complex legal challenges wherever they may be.
With lawyers operating from more than 40 locations, working in virtually every country of the world, we have invested heavily in building a high-quality full-service practice competing at the top of the market. We are distinguished by our on-the-ground presence in the world’s key financial markets and our strengths in handling complex cross-border work.
It’s not just about our global network of offices; it’s the global interconnectedness of the Firm that our people, and our clients, value most. We work well together across geographic and practice boundaries. It’s one of the reasons we attract and retain cross-border work. And why we attract a diverse group of people.
Our lawyers are globally minded, enterprising, collaborative and committed to excellence. Diversity is a core value of our Firm and it has been recognized with numerous awards and top rankings around the world. Our people represent 90 nationalities and speak 80 languages.
As a core member of the London People Team you are tasked with helping White & Case translate our business strategy into talent imperatives that deliver on our strategic vision of profitable growth, engaged people and outstanding client relationships.
The role holder will be responsible for advising on and managing key human resources processes and supporting the EMEA HR Managers and HR Specialists in the successful delivery of human resources services at all stages of the employee lifecycle.
Working together with a team of 3 Advisors across London, each with responsibility for a number of specific client groups and the PA population within each, the role holder will provide operational support on day to day people matters.
The role holder will also be expected to work with the wider HR team to help drive forward the global and regional people agenda through participating in HR projects and programs.
This role is located in the London office, reporting to the EMEA HR Managers and Head of HR, London.
Our People Advisory Team
Trusted advisor or career coach, project manager or strategist, recruitment administrator, talent expert or experienced generalist? As part of our global People (Advisory) team, you can expect to utilize and develop your skills across every aspect of human resources and talent management.
Whilst traditional HR tasks are an important component of our work, we also apply this practical knowledge to high-level strategic initiatives that deliver on our employer value proposition to best enable and grow our business. We lead and manage significant projects to attract, retain and engage the best people, and we are recognized for our ability to get the job done.
We’re proud of our high performance work ethic, as well as the central role that we play in fostering an inclusive and collaborative culture. Through extensive contact with partners and business services leaders, we are trusted to offer advice and implement changes that help our teams perform at the highest level and deliver outstanding client service. Working with us will enable you to become a great professional, and develop a uniquely broad range of experience to draw on throughout your career.
Duties and Accountabilities
Recruitment and Induction
- Assist with drafting business cases for hiring requests across EMEA
- Maintain the Recruitment System Taleo, ensuring roles are logged appropriately
- Work with the Recruitment team on candidate offers and assist with the onboarding process
- Organize and present the London induction, review materials regularly and ensure they are up to date
- Meet and greet new joiners, conducting the necessary work permit checks
- Conduct first stage probation reviews, escalating issues to the EMEA HR Managers and relevant Partners/Business Services Leaders
- Analyze new joiner feedback, proposing process efficiencies where necessary
- Oversee Work Experience placements in respective groups
- Primary contact for all policy related queries, ensuring advice is applied in a commercial and practical way
- Conduct investigations for disciplinary and grievance processes in London
- Assist with the drafting of all correspondence relating to formal processes
- Manage Maternity/Shared Parental Leave/ Paternity processes for respective groups
- Manage long term absences and occupational health cases
- Conduct exit interviews, synthesizing and recording key messages
- Advise on London ER issues, escalating to the EMEA HR Managers as required
- Work collaboratively to support the EMEA HR Managers with the timely launch and successful delivery of the performance evaluation process
- Main point of contact for evaluation queries and evaluation system training •
- Assist with departmental moderation meetings, including collation of relevant reference materials, utilizing support from Manila as required
- Actively drive participation in the evaluation process
- Manage communications with the relevant support teams in Manila in terms of process and outputs relating to the annual review processes
- Manage London salary and bonus processes, drawing on support from the EMEA HR Manager as required
- Provide support on the EMEA salary and bonus process, liaising with Regional office contacts where necessary
- Work closely with the mobility team, assisting with joiner visa applications, including drafting of job descriptions and associated documents
- Manage client secondments for respective groups.
- Develop processes with Business Development to ensure pre and post reviews take place to optimize the success of secondments.
- Maintain the relevant People data sources, including career trackers and headcount reports
- Review monthly audit reports and take action where necessary
- Monitor and review attrition data on a quarterly basis, reporting back to the leadership team on trends and insights
- Build and develop relationships with other Business Services functions, identifying process improvements and efficiencies where necessary
- Lead on the relationship with payroll, ensuring all relevant forms are processes each month as required
- Lead on the relationship with Manila, monitoring quality of work and providing feedback where necessary
- Contributing to projects as required
- Keep up to date with external trends and best practice in HR, proactively sharing with the team
- CIPD qualification ( full or part ) advantageous
- Professional services experience; experience in a global law firm preferred
- Highly client focused
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships at all levels with a strong client focus
- Ability to question constructively existing procedures and consider alternatives
- Team player, contributing to the success of the HR team
- Excellent technical skills and ability to learn new systems (knowledge of PeopleSoft advantageous)
- Effective delegation skills
Location and Reporting
- This is a role based on London.
- Our standard office hours are 09:30-18:00
White & Case is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. It is our Firm’s policy to recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law.
If you require assistance and/or accommodation to participate in our application and/or interview process, please email the recruiting contact listed for the relevant position. We will be happy to work with you.
The Firm may modify and amend this job description at any time at its sole discretion.
1The above is a general description of the essential duties aspsociated with this position and does not represent an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all duties.