Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history, celebrating it's bicentenary in 2022. We are proud of our history and future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit www.ashurst.com .
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
This role involves working closely with a number of functions across the firm on all contract reviews and negotiations with clients. The position is by its nature a global role involving all client terms and compliance queries; it will also involve working to local regulatory requirements as required.
The Risk & Compliance function is commercially minded and focuses on adding value to the business as well as clients, as illustrated by the digital product and advisory offerings designed and maintained by the function to benefit our clients.
- The successful candidate will support the business by reviewing and negotiating client terms, assisting with compliance questions and ensuring the interests of the firm are protected.
- The successful candidate will support the Client Commitments Manager, where necessary, in identifying strategic initiatives and any risk administration related tasks.
- The successful candidate will be pivotal in delivering and managing the implementation of clients commitments across our business.
- The successful candidate will be expected to ensure the suitability of solutions to the business and our clients. The successful candidate will also be tasked to further develop relationships with our key stakeholders on a continuous basis.
Business as usual:
- Review and negotiate various contracts drafted by clients (outside counsel guidelines, framework agreements, non-disclosure agreements, etc.) to ensure they are aligned with the Firm's strategy, where necessary with the assistance of other functions in the firm.
- Comment on and discuss with partners, fee-earners and clients any changes to the Firm's standard terms of business and engagement letter.
- Advise the partnership on any relevant risk and compliance issues associated with their practice.
- Attend and conduct meetings with partners and/or clients, where necessary to negotiate client terms.
- Complete questionnaires submitted by clients with the assistance of others and deal with any follow-up queries, bearing in mind the Firm's strategy, policies and procedures.
- Liaise with other functions as required to ensure business readiness for any technology roll outs and compliance changes to processes and practices, including compliance to clients commitments and consistency of approach with clients audit responses and remediation.
Strategic projects and leadership:
- Work collaboratively across legal and business services teams to maintain standards relating to the procedure, efficiency and communication with respect to client commitments.
- Assist the Client Commitments Manager with transformational projects involving the Risk & Compliance function, where required.
- Work collaboratively across legal and business services teams to improve service, commercial impact and efficiency of teams, particularly in relation to overlapping areas/responsibilities.
- Report on the work undertaken with ensuring the issues affecting the Firm's global strategy are communicated in a clear, transparent and effective manner at the right time.
- Assist in the establishment of best practices, governance and standards that can be leveraged globally and meet regulatory expectations in relation to risk management.
- Assist in the periodic review and improvements of processes to support any changes with relevant legislation, regulation or best practice.
- Ensure at all times that any business intelligence gained through the work is shared with, as relevant and necessary, the Practice Group or Division Heads.
- Assist with the establishment and implementation of standards across the various client commitments made across our business.
- Seek opportunities for regular and consistent engagement both within the Risk & Compliance function and the wider business.
- Work to identify improvement opportunities aligned to the business strategy.
- Liaise with partners and lawyers to assist collaboratively with the negotiation of terms and development of internal processes to enable compliance with regulations and develop commercial policy, as required.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Experience in the review and negotiation of contracts, with particular focus on standard contracts drafted by clients when they engage law firms and/or standard contracts drafted by law firms for engagement with clients.
- Problem solving skills and the ability to put an argument across in a clear, articulate way showing sound business acumen.
- Discrete and professional in handling sensitive, confidential situations and deals.
- Experienced in dealing with various legal practice regulators in various jurisdictions.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to liaise effectively at all levels across the firm and offices.
- Commitment to supporting the team as a global function and ability to strengthen those connections globally.
- Organisational and research skills, attention to detail and able to work well under pressure.
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritise and meet deadlines.
- Flexible and able to adapt to new situations, processes and technology.
- Legal qualification with relevant experience in contract review and negotiation.
- A positive person with the willingness to learn and adapt. Must have the ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
Desired skills and experience:
- Experience in compliance and risk management. Beneficial but not required.