Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. Embracing new trends and harnessing decades of experience, we’ve earned our place at the forefront of the legal industry. Our partners are recognised as leaders in their field and our deals and cases often make headline business news. As a result, we’ve developed a reputation for delivering excellence, in all that we do. Today, we’re continuing to break new ground. By embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work, we’ve been named as the Most Innovative Law Firm in Europe by the Financial Times six times.
Join our team and you’ll be part of a flexible, inclusive culture underpinned by openness and acceptance. We’re driven by the belief that, to perform, people need support and space to collaborate. By combining those values with an ambitious outlook, we can give you the opportunity to thrive.
The London IP Litigation group advises and acts on a broad range of contentious IP matters, with particular expertise in Technology, SEP and FRAND disputes, life sciences patent and regulatory disputes, brands and designs litigation, and trade secrets disputes.
In keeping with this, the group has a particular focus on the communications, high-tech, life sciences and media sectors, as well as working with a range of clients across other sectors, including financial services. Clients of the group include numerous leading high-tech companies, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, communications and digital platform operators and major global media groups.
Our practice is consistently ranked in the top tier for contentious IP and patent matters, which, as a full-service firm, we can offer in conjunction with market-leading expertise in adjacent legal disciplines, such as commercial litigation, employment litigation, non-contentious intellectual property and arbitration. The all-round strength and depth of our practice means that we are trusted by clients to deliver for them in their high-value, complex and strategic disputes. In addition, most of the work we do is international in scope, where we are working closely with other disputes teams in the Allen & Overy global IP network.
We currently have over 130 dedicated intellectual property lawyers across our offices in Europe, Asia Pacific and the US, with a wealth of experience across the full range of legal services relating to IP, both contentious and transactional. Further, you would be joining our firm at an exciting time of significant expansion, as we implement our strategy of being the first leading IP disputes practice to provide a truly global, joined-up, top-tier service. Having recently announced significant partner hires in Northern California, Washington DC, New York and Boston, you will quickly have the opportunity to work with our global team on market-leading cases,
We are looking for an individual with 2-5 years’ experience in IP litigation, with a particular focus on patent litigation in the technology or life sciences sectors (or both). Experience of other areas of contentious intellectual property (eg trade secrets, brands) would be a bonus, but is not essential.
- Partners, Associates and the wider IP litigation teams in Allen & Overy’s global IP team
- Business Development teams
- Professional Support Lawyers
- Wider A&O community
Role and responsibilities
- Working with experts and witnesses on reports & evidence
- Case management, including working to deadlines, managing client expectations and project delivery
- Business development and profile raising, via industry activities, client seminars, pitches, client alerts, publications, etc
- Management of know-how & active participation in training sessions
- Drafting, reviewing and amending inter-solicitors correspondence, expert reports, advice, etc
- Legal research and advice
- 4-5 PQE+ qualified lawyer with a solid knowledge and understanding of patent litigation, including procedural and strategic aspects, case analysis, timelines, expert selection and evidence and trial preparation
- Strong technical knowledge across some (but not all) of the following areas:
- Technology, SEP and FRAND disputes and strategy
- Innovator vs generic/biosimilar launch and litigation scenarios
- Biologics or other innovator/innovator disputes in the life sciences sector
- Trade secrets disputes
- Brands and designs disputes and enforcement.
(Note: Associates will typically focus on a selection of the above and are not expected to cover all areas of the practice.)
- Outstanding academic credentials
- Intellectual curiosity and versatility
- Self -starter with the desire and ability continuously to acquire, develop and share knowledge
- Detail-focused and self-motivated approach
- Strong organisational skills, with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Excellent client relationship skills
- Sound experience of operating at associate level within a complex international organisation
- Strong commercial/business acumen with the ability to deliver creative and pragmatic solutions and advice
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface at all levels and build strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborative team player with the ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually rigorous environment
- A person of sound judgment, able to establish a high level of credibility.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
We are an equal opportunities recruiter and do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. Embracing new trends and harnessing decades of experience, we’ve earned our place at the forefront of the legal industry. Our partners are recognised as leaders in their field and our deals and cases often make headline business news. As a result, we’ve developed a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that not only solve our clients’ challenges but exceed their expectations. By embracing new ways of thinking, integrating technology into our everyday work and putting our people first, we’ve become known for leading by example.
Join our team and you’ll be part of a flexible, inclusive culture underpinned by openness and consistent support for one another. Our culture enables people to define their own career path based on their strengths, while our ambitious outlook ensures we continue to provide each person with opportunities to thrive. We’re also committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. If you’re ready to play your part in defining the future of law: It’s Time.