Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East. Our global footprint is further enhanced by our strategic partnership with Interlaw which works to facilitate our management of multi-jurisdictional matters. We have leading practices in Corporate, Litigation, Tax, Banking and Finance, Real Estate and Private Wealth.
We’ve always been proud of our natural commitment to diversity and inclusion and value the variety of our partnership. We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. Our strategic direction is shaped by a desire to grow our business in a way that is responsible and sustainable and has the principles of ESG at its core, guiding the way we operate firmwide.
We operate a hybrid working policy to provide flexible working each week between home and the office, with time in the latter to allow for networking, learning, collaboration, meetings and events.
Established in 1984 and located in the heart of the City our Exeter office has evolved into a full-service law firm and the first point of call for many corporate and individual clients in the South West and beyond.
Our expertise takes in both public and private sectors, with a particular focus on Real Estate – both residential and commercial property. We have teams who advise on construction, employment, litigation and dispute resolution, property finance, and corporate advice.
We are also well known for our work in wealth management, residential property conveyancing, and agriculture. We are an acknowledged expert in specialist travel insurance law.
Our Exeter office is home to a team of 146 staff, led by 22 partners. Our locally based lawyers have a deep understanding of what matters to clients in the South West. In turn, our clients choose us for our high levels of service and expertise, and also for the value for money we can offer by utilising our regional teams.
We have an enviable reputation for bringing public and private and charity sectors together in innovative joint ventures. Our in-depth understanding of the public sector and the rules and regulations it operates within, as well as the commercial drivers for our private sector clients, means we can find practical and workable solutions, and do so efficiently and economically.
We are looking to recruit an Associate/Senior Associate into our Commercial team based in the Exeter office.
The department offers our clients access to a full range of corporate and commercial legal services, advising on a range of commercial matters for business clients, from start-ups, SMEs and larger corporates to family businesses and a range of public sector clients (including standard terms and conditions, partnership agreements, joint ventures, development agreements, bespoke service contracts and IT/data issues). The team also further supports public sector clients on commercial issues including outsourcing, public sector companies and commercialisation.
Working as part of a high-performing national and growing regional team, the new recruit will advise clients operating in a variety of sectors on a diverse range of commercial matters.
The Corporate/Commercial department is supported by specialists in our other departments, including banking, tax, employment and intellectual property.
The role will include a range of key activities to include providing a first-class service to clients, proactive marketing/profile raising, exceptional client and team/office management. Specifically:
- Advising on a range of commercial agreements;
- Drafting a range of commercial documents and advise on key areas of risk dependent on sector area of client;
- Advising on partnership and joint venture agreements;
- Advising on outsourcing arrangements;
- Advising on ad hoc day-to-day commercial queries from our varied client base;
- Supporting General Counsel on business critical projects in designated timeframes;
- An understanding of GDPR, EU procurement and public law helpful but not essential;
- Initiating, building and maintaining effective client relationships;
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
- Promotions, and co-managing quarterly check-ins; attending periodic meetings of the International Corporate and Partner Groups to discuss strategy, marketing and coordinating inter-office team support.
- Pro-active participation in department and firm-wide marketing initiatives.
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at these grades. For this role we require:
- Qualified solicitor with 3- 8 years' PQE in advising a broad diet of corporate commercial matters;
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application;
- Proven ability to take on responsibility, manage and progress matters independently where appropriate;
- Strong client focus and service delivery;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Commercial awareness;
- Aptitude for and proven business development experience;
- Substantial client management experience;
- Ability to work to deadlines;
- Methodical, disciplined and organised;
- Team player;
- Excellent communication skills with a collaborative approach;
- Ability to manage files independently;
- Credibility and profile;
- Experience gained for a leading/notable international/UK Commercial practice
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.