Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Who we are
Trowers & Hamlins is a Top 50 international law firm with over 160 partners and more than 900 people located across the UK, Middle East and Asia.
At Trowers & Hamlins we have an incredibly commercial approach. We’re also very collaborative with a strong emphasis on training. Our teams across the firm are built on trust, integrity and personality. Our strength lies in our ability to come up with diverse ideas; to see things from a range of perspectives. Put simply, inclusivity is intrinsic to the way we work, and it means we’re committed to finding the right people for our firm.
The national tax team act for corporations, entrepreneurs, management teams, pension funds, charities, registered providers of social housing and local authorities in a range of domestic and international tax advice. The team provides transactional support for corporate, banking and real estate transactions, in relation to corporation tax, income tax, capital gains tax, withholding taxes, VAT, SDLT, stamp duty and the construction industry scheme, as well as delivering tax structuring advice and stand-alone advisory work. The successful candidate will be involved in a broad range of tax advisory work and transactional support for UK and international clients.
What you'll be doing
The successful candidate will be expected to advise clients, and assist with the tax aspects of the following:
- property investment and development structures
- Islamic compliant finance structures
- corporate share sales (including tax covenants and tax warranties)
- asset sales (including TOGC provisions)
- commercial property sales
- landlord and tenant transactions
- joint ventures
- group reorganisations
- housing projects
- urban and land regeneration projects
- employment tax aspects including share scheme arrangements and management incentives
This will include:
- Transactional support work, supporting the various departments of the firm (such as Corporate, Real Estate, Employment, Banking, Private Wealth and Construction)
- Report writing;
- Drafting tax advice;
- Transactional drafting (including tax covenants, tax warranties and TOGC provisions);
- HMRC clearance letters;
- Building and maintaining effective client relationships.
- Pro-active participation in marketing initiatives.
- Efficient file management skills and ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures.
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions.
- Training and development of junior solicitors (where appropriate).
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the Senior Associate grade. In particular, for this role we require:
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application
- Strong client focus
- Drive and enthusiasm
- Commercial awareness and excellent financial management
- Solid academic record
- Qualified solicitor with a minimum of 5 years PQE across a whole range of corporate tax matters
- Client management experience
- Ability to manage files independently
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.