Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
People are our biggest asset. It's their talent, expertise and personality that makes the firm what it is. In the lateral recruitment team, it is our mission to attract and hire the best, at all levels and in all locations.
We are a global law firm that continues to grow in size, reputation and expertise across our UK offices. As a result, we are looking to recruit a Solicitor 0-1 PQE into our Corporate team forming part of the Corporate/ Commercial national practice, sitting in the Birmingham office.
The Corporate/Commercial department offers our clients access to a full range of corporate and commercial legal services. Working as part of a high-performing national and growing regional team, the recruit will advise clients operating in a variety of sectors on a diverse range of corporate matters, private company mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, private equity, re-organisations, share buybacks, joint ventures, commercial contracts and corporate governance.
What you'll be doing
- Advising on private company acquisitions and disposals – including both share and business/asset deals.
- Advising on private company reorganisations, intra-group transfers and succession planning/exits.
- Advising on private equity and venture capital investments.
- Setting up corporate structures, preparing shareholders agreements/investment agreements and advising on funding arrangements.
- Advising on joint ventures for both private and public sector clients.
- Advising on general corporate matters including share buy-backs, distributions, and corporate governance.
- Advising on ad hoc day-to-day corporate and commercial queries from our corporate clients.
- Preparing and negotiating ancillary documents
- Initiating, building, and maintaining effective client relationships.
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures.
- Pro-active participation in department and firm-wide marketing initiatives.
- Training and development of junior legal staff (where appropriate).
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the Solicitor/Associate level grade. In particular for this role we require:
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application.
- Drive, enthusiasm and vision
- Proven ability to manage files
- Flexibility and can-do approach
- Excellent communication skills with a collaborative approach
- Demonstrable passion for business development
- Ability to manage files independently with appropriate supervision.
- Commercial awareness.
- Strong client focus.
- Client management experience.
- Directly relevant post-qualification experience at 0-1 PQE, gained at a recognised and busy corporate practice.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.