Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Established in 1984 and located in the heart of the City our Exeter office has evolved into a full-service law firm and the first point of call for many corporate and individual clients in the South West and beyond.
Our expertise takes in both public and private sectors, with a particular focus on Real Estate – both residential and commercial property. We have teams who advise on construction, employment, litigation and dispute resolution, property finance, and corporate advice.
We are also well known for our work in wealth management, residential property conveyancing, and agriculture. We are an acknowledged expert in specialist travel insurance law.
Our Exeter office is home to a team of 148 staff, led by 24 partners. Our locally based lawyers have a deep understanding of what matters to clients in the South West. In turn, our clients choose us for our high levels of service and expertise, and also for the value for money we can offer by utilising our regional teams.
We have an enviable reputation for bringing public and private and charity sectors together in innovative joint ventures. Our in-depth understanding of the public sector and the rules and regulations it operates within, as well as the commercial drivers for our private sector clients, means we can find practical and workable solutions, and do so efficiently and economically.
This is an exciting opportunity for a Real Estate Lawyer to join the Agriculture & Rural Estates team at Associate level. Work will include acting for landowners, farmers and local authorities. Initially working alongside a Partner you would be expected to hit the ground running and would be given high levels of responsibility with direct client contact and running your own files.
What you will be doing
• Sales and acquisitions of agricultural property including commercial and residential property;
• Dealing with all property aspects of both registered and unregistered land and freehold or leasehold matters;
• Undertaking a mixture of property work including granting of rights over land and charging/refinancing;
• Providing assistance to partners on management and supervision of the wider team, if required;
• Working with other specialist teams on more complex matters;
• Comply with core competencies as appropriate to the fee earner level of qualification;
• Building and maintaining and where possible initiating effective client relationships;
• Active participation in marketing initiatives;
• Running own files;
• Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures and with CQS requirements where appropriate;
• Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions.
What you will need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the Associate grade. In particular for this role we require:
• Qualified solicitor or CILEx with relevant PQE and proven expertise in real estate, ideally with Agricultural Property experience;
• Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application;
• Proven ability to take responsibility, manage and progress matters independently where appropriate;
• Strong client focus and a commitment to service delivery;
• Drive and enthusiasm;
• Commercial awareness;
• Flexibility and can do attitude;
• Substantial client management experience;
• Proven track record and aptitude in origination/business development;
• Solid academic record
CQS accreditation is preferable but not essential
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.