White & Case is an elite global law firm serving leading companies, financial institutions and governments worldwide. Our long history as an international firm means we are perfectly placed to help our clients resolve their most complex legal challenges wherever they may be.
With lawyers operating from more than 40 locations, working in virtually every country of the world, we have invested heavily in building a high-quality full-service practice competing at the top of the market. We are distinguished by our on-the-ground presence in the world’s key financial markets and our strengths in handling complex cross-border work.
It’s not just about our global network of offices; it’s the global interconnectedness of the Firm that our people, and our clients, value most. We work well together across geographic and practice boundaries. It’s one of the reasons we attract and retain cross-border work. And why we attract a diverse group of people.
Our lawyers are globally minded, enterprising, collaborative and committed to excellence. Diversity is a core value of our Firm and it has been recognized with numerous awards and top rankings around the world. Our people represent 90 nationalities and speak 80 languages.
We are looking for a Resource Manager (Allocation & Development Manager) to join our London office. This position presents an exciting opportunity to play a key role in supporting the development of legal talent for one of our practice groups. The Resource Manager (Allocation & Development Manager) will engage directly with associates to understand their interests and objectives, in order to provide access to the experiences and relationships they need to build their careers. The role is heavily people focused, built on establishing strong working relationships with a number of key stakeholders across the Firm.
This role will focus on the effective management of the associate population within a specific practice. The Resource Manager (Allocation & Development Manager) will seek to ensure that the associates are appropriately staffed and utilized, while balancing the pursuit of a rich and well-rounded associate experience with the immediate needs of the business.
The successful candidate will be a team-player who is ambitious, focused on client service, and passionate about their work. They will be eager to take on the challenges of exceling in a global law firm and high-performance culture. This individual will have exemplary academic credentials, as well as a genuine interest in associate development and matter/resource management. Prior experience with resource management in a professional services setting, preferably a law firm, is required.
We offer high-quality work, a competitive salary package and an opportunity to be part of a truly global organization.
Our People Team
Trusted advisor or career coach, project manager or strategist, recruitment administrator, talent expert or experienced generalist? As part of our global People team, you can expect to utilize and develop your skills across every aspect of human resources and talent management.
We’re proud of our high performance work ethic, as well as the central role that we play in fostering an inclusive and collaborative culture. Through extensive contact with partners and business services leaders, we are trusted to offer advice and implement changes that help our teams perform at the highest level and deliver outstanding client service.
Working with us will enable you to become a great professional, and develop a uniquely broad range of experience to draw on throughout your career.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Serve as a neutral 3rd party for Associates and Partners, supporting an equitable work allocation and targeted professional development
- Manage staffing requests and coordination with Staffing Partners
- Serve as a liaison between Associates and Partners, coordinating staffing processes and representing Associates in complex Partner interactions
- Monitor and report on equitable work allocation KPIs to practice leadership
- Conducts check-ins with Associates to discuss career interests, professional development needs, and collects feedback on work allocation process
- Ensure matters are appropriately staffed in an efficient and timely manner by monitoring current and anticipated lawyer utilization and assessing individual capacity
- Maintain clear, effective lines of communication, keeping all stakeholders informed on initiatives, developments, business issues, and other critical topics
- Escalate sensitive or high-risk staffing situations to the Senior Manager, Allocation & Development
- Liaise with the Regional Section Head and Staffing Partners to monitor associate performance (and feedback), development and career aspirations
- Gain exposure to the broader functions of the People Advisory team, and work closely with the respective People Advisory Manager to help with secondments, relocations and other projects
- Help drive Firm engagement initiatives
- Work closely with the Senior Manager, Junior Associate Experience regarding junior associate development
- Work closely with Learning & Development and the Professional Support Lawyer(s) to ensure associates are receiving appropriate training opportunities
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree required
- Prior experience in associate development, work allocation, and/or resource management, ideally within a large professional services environment
- Strong commercial and business awareness
- Outstanding skills in diplomacy and negotiation
- Strong project management skills
- Client service focus
- Strong judgment
- Proactive and resourceful; takes initiative
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Persistent and resilient
- Persuasive; ability to drive change through influence
- Strong technology skills
- Experience working with resource management software is a plus
- Excel proficiency is required
- Flexibility with working outside of standard business hours to address staffing requests, as needed
Location and Reporting
- This is a hybrid in-office/remote role based in our London office.
- This role reports to the Senior Manager, EMEA Allocation & Development.
White & Case is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. It is our Firm’s policy to recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law.
If you require assistance and/or accommodation to participate in our application and/or interview process, please email the recruiting contact listed for the relevant position. We will be happy to work with you.
The Firm may modify and amend this job description at any time at its sole discretion.
1The above is a general description of the essential duties associated with this position and does not represent an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all duties.