The key focus of the role will be to work as part of the Pensions team which provides commercial and client focused support and advice on all aspects of pensions provision including the creation, operation, regulation and restructuring of all types of pension funds in both the private and public sectors.
The role can be based in one of our regional offices but may also require some travel to our other offices from time to time.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Working as part of the specialist Pensions team, candidates will have a broad diet of work, that will include, but not be limited to, assisting in providing client focused support and advice on;
- Drafting and interpretation of trust deeds and rules and other scheme documents
- Compliance with new legislation (e.g. abolition of contracting out, automatic enrolment, tax changes)
- Benefit design issues, closure to accrual, transition from final salary to CARE or money purchase benefits
- Day-to-day governance and compliance
- Scheme funding, the use of contingent assets and asset backed funding structures
- Scheme mergers and reconstructions; scheme wind ups
- Legal aspects of pension scheme investments
- Risk management, buy-ins, buy-outs and longevity hedging
- Transactional support, including drafting and negotiating pension schedules and admission agreements, negotiating new Fair Deal provisions and advising on pensions risks on transactions
- Dispute resolution, defending Ombudsman complaints, Pensions Regulator compliance issues and conducting 'hostile' (claims against third parties) and 'non-hostile' (High Court proceedings) litigation
- Legal research
Technical duties and skills
- Complies with professional standards and all relevant regulatory obligations
- Drafts documents using a commercial, client focussed style
- Complies with the firm's systems, policies and procedures in all matters - including compliance, financial systems and time recording
- Knows and understands how to best utilise information and research resources
- Stays current on key legal and business developments and news
Transferable duties and skills
- Works with the team to provide a professional, quality service in a timely manner, and responds effectively to requests from internal and external clients
- Understands positive client support and helps to manage client expectations and project delivery appropriately
- Helps to create confidence in the team and the firm
- Business development - development of a personal plan
- Awareness of business development initiatives in the department and identifies ways to contribute.
- Recognises and seizes opportunities for the firm, including repeat business
- Builds and develops own network of internal and external contacts
- Exhibits behaviour consistent with the firm's values and builds relationships based on respect, trust and integrity
- Maintains a controlled, objective and flexible approach under pressure
- Takes ownership for achieving agreed objectives
- Works co-operatively in a team, sharing information and knowledge
- Manages time effectively and efficiently, and actively communicates with others
- Seeks to manage own utilisation in order to meet individual and team targets
We do not set upper or lower limits of PQE for any of our vacancies and we’re keen to hear from candidates who have relevant experience.
- Qualified solicitor or barrister in England & Wales
- Qualified lawyer with a minimum of 1 years experience gained in a firm or organization known for its expertise in Pensions work
- An excellent academic and work record
- Excellent skills in communication, client relations, and team working
- Good analytical and numerical skills
- Exhibits exceptional attention to detail
- Able to think strategically and creatively
- Be comfortable multi-tasking and working to tight timescales
- Be committed to assisting the team in providing clients with a rounded and comprehensive range of Pensions support and advice to help them conduct their business
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold - we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional - we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We know that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
PRE ENGAGEMENT SCREENING
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we may conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction.