TRANSACTIONAL CONSTRUCTION (PROJECTS) LAWYER – 1-3 YEARS’ PQE, BIRMINGHAM
Our Construction and Engineering Group in Birmingham is expanding and we are currently looking to recruit a Lawyer with 1-3 years’ PQE.
Our Birmingham Team
Hailed as a ‘one-stop shop’ for construction matters our Birmingham team is headed by Nigel Blundell who is particularly well-versed in central and local government-led building and infrastructure schemes, especially rail and other transport projects; he and his team are also active in terms of university-related and large-scale real estate projects including build-to-rent, residential, hotel, private rented sector and office schemes. The Birmingham team, which also includes Jonathan Vickers, is closely integrated with the firm’s global construction practice which consists of over 350 infrastructure specialists across Europe, APAC, the Gulf and Africa.
Our National Team
Nationally, we have an unrivalled reputation in acting for employers, funders, project companies, contractors, consultants and insurers. We act for over half of the UK's top 50 contractors, a large number of the top contractors worldwide and an impressive range of private and public sector clients. Our Construction and Engineering team act across the sectors including infrastructure and energy (nuclear, renewables, conventional and oil and gas), property, waste, education, transport and health.
Key Clients include:
- Morgan Sindall Construction and Infrastructure Limited
- Balfour Beatty Construction
- Royal London
- Grainger PLC
- Story Contracting
- McCarthy and Stone
- Egis Rail
- Kier Developments
- Mayfair Group
- UK Central Services
- Combined Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Authority
- Advising UK Central Services on various projects interfacing with HS2.
- Advised Grainger PLC on its development of Exchange Square Birmingham, a private rental sector scheme.
- Continuing to advise the TRU East alliance on the improvement of the rail network between Leeds and York.
What our clients say:
“Nigel is a very strong performer who is very commercial." "He provides comprehensive and pragmatic advice." "He is very experienced and knows what is happening in the market."
Chambers and Partners
“Jonathan Vickers is on top of things, replies promptly and is always available. Nothing is any trouble for him…”
The Candidate Required
The team's pipeline is such that our vacancy would best suit a candidate well versed in infrastructure and energy related transactional (non-contentious) construction work. However, we would also consider applicants with a strong background in commercial contracts combined with a genuine interest in pursuing their career in a different direction.
Overall, the successful candidate will have the opportunity of exposure to both construction and projects work so experience and flexibility in that regard is an advantage.
The successful candidate will:
- have gained experience in a large commercial firm, in-house legal team or local authority;
- be a team player, able to forge strong working relationships with colleagues in an agile environment;
- be technically strong and exercise good commercial judgment;
- have the interpersonal skills necessary for this client-facing role.
The role is wide-ranging, will focus on and include:
- developing on-going relationships with an existing client base as well as pitching for new opportunities;
- developing close working relationships as part of an international team;
- the opportunity to be involved in work in the very best national and international construction work.
What will we offer you?
- We are a market leading, dynamic and growing global team who work together to produce outstanding results for our clients.
- We invest in our team and have a first-class training and career development programme. Our training reflects our position as a market leader in communications and sourcing. Our training will assist you to develop as a specialist with valuable sector knowledge and the ability to deliver "best in class" services.
- Early responsibility and opportunities to develop client relationships.
Should you require further details, please contact our in-house Lateral Recruitment Advisor Karen Rawlings who can discuss the role and requirements.
At Pinsent Masons we value diversity and inclusion. We are committed to creating a better workplace where all our talent can succeed and feel like they belong. We want to attract, retain and develop people at all levels and encourage applications from all suitably qualified candidates whatever your ethnicity, religion, age, physical or mental disability/ long term condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristics protected by local law in the jurisdictions in which we operate.
Our clients don’t simply have legal issues, they have commercial needs. What the best lawyers do is respond to those needs with a mix of imagination and pragmatism. If a business can be made to work better, everyone benefits. This gives rise to the question ‘who makes a great lawyer’? A great lawyer is interested in business as much as law, a person who is bold enough to challenge the status quo and who sees the opportunity in championing change and promoting progress.
We integrate our trainees into working teams from day one so that, from the very beginning of their careers, they’re working alongside and learning from colleagues who, like them, are ever willing to explore solutions.
If that sounds like you, we’d like to hear from you. We think you’ll really enjoy working with us.