Share Plans/Employment Tax and Trusts SOLICITOR (0-3 yrs PQE)
Manchester/ Birmingham/ Glasgow/ Edinburgh/ Leeds/ London
The requirement is for a 0-3 years’ PQE lawyer, to specialise in share plans and incentives, employment tax, commercial trusts and charity law. The role sits within the Employment & Reward team but is distinct from an employment law role and covers the areas described below.
The role covers a wide range of areas; candidates are not expected to have knowledge/experience currently of all the areas, rather a complementary skill set/experience and willingness to learn. There may also be some flexibility for candidates to focus primarily on certain of the areas, subject to business needs and the candidate’s experience and interests.
The role is available in any of our UK offices.
The team focuses on the following key areas - each of which is a national centre of excellence (and, in the case of commercial trusts and charities, unique to the team). It is anticipated that the candidate would be involved in all of the areas of work listed below and take an active role in developing each of the team's practices.
Share Plans and Incentives:
- Share plans and incentives is a specialised and interesting area of law. The team, which is partner led, works with companies of all sizes, from small early stage businesses through to household name FTSE 100 global companies.
- The work of the team comprises: Advising on the structure and implementation of equity incentive arrangements taking into account tax, corporate law, corporate governance and other associated legal aspects affecting the operation of such arrangements.
- Drafting the rules and agreements of the share plans under which the awards are made, and associated employee and company documents.
- Carrying out legal and tax due diligence across multiple countries in respect to the operation of share plans in multiple jurisdictions.
- Advising on the operation of and structuring of employee benefit trust arrangements and their operation in conjunction with equity and cash awards.
- Providing corporate supporting respect of equity arrangements on transactions
- Working closely with employment colleagues in respect of joiner and leaver situations, including advice in respect of the Financial Services Remuneration Codes.
- Providing advice and thought leadership to our clients on corporate governance and executive remuneration issues.
This comprises the following areas, and plays a significant role in the Employment & Reward practice:
- employment tax (a full range of support to the Employment team's clients and the wider firm, including termination issues, employment status/IR35, and structuring in relation to internationally mobile employees).
- advising on employee-incentivisation benefits, such as death in service schemes, and acting for most of the providers in the healthcare trusts market on the development of new processes and services. The team is a national leader in this area, which often requires a combination of tax and trust law expertise.
- providing support to the Pensions team and its clients on trust and tax issues arising in relation to pension-related products.
- working closely with the share plans team on 'troubleshooting' issues arising from employee benefit trusts.
Commercial trusts practice
The team is again a national leader in this area working closely with the firm's Insurance/Financial Services sector and Pensions teams. The role also comprises advice to corporate, banking and restructuring teams on trust related issues. Work is diverse and may involve drafting suites of documents, technical questions or advice on often cutting-edge new products and services. It includes:
- advising most of the leading insurers (Axa, Aviva, L&G, Aegon, Scottish Widows, Zurich etc) on the development of new trust-related products and services, drafting suites of pro-forma trust documents and ad hoc technical queries.
- advising on customer and supplier protection trusts (for companies in financial difficulty).
- working with the corporate and banking teams on issues where trustees are buying/selling/charging assets.
- assisting corporate trustees with trust and tax law issues arising in relation to unit trusts and co-ownership structures.
- advising on other commercial trust arrangements as and when required, e.g funeral trust products.
Charity law advice
- Charity law overlaps with trust law in a number of respects and so is also dealt with by the team. The focus is on advice to university clients on a wide range of charity law and tax issues – working closely with our Universities practice. Universities are both complex commercial entities and also charities subject to charity law, leading to complex and interesting challenges where the two interact. Examples of our work include:
- advice on Equality Act issues re gift acceptance.
- charity law issues in relation to mergers (including advice on dealing with special trusts).
- advising on the structuring of commercial activities, trading and investments.
- The other significant area of work is with the banking team on issues around lending to charities.
Should you require further details, please contact our in house Lateral Recruitment Advisor Johenn Choi who can discuss the role and requirements.
At Pinsent Masons we value diversity and inclusion. We are committed to creating a better workplace where all our talent can succeed and feel like they belong. We want to attract, retain and develop people at all levels and encourage applications from all suitably qualified candidates whatever your ethnicity, religion, age, physical or mental disability/long term condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristics protected by local law in the jurisdictions in which we operate.