We pride ourselves on leveraging our collective knowledge and skills and training our teams to support the delivery of a high-quality service on major international insurance and reinsurance disputes and regulatory mandates.
The Firm’s International Knowledge strategy is delivered by Knowledge Professionals in collaboration with dedicated Knowledge Partners in a manner that is tailored to meet the needs of each Group and Sector.
We are looking for an experienced insurance and reinsurance lawyer to join our International Knowledge Management team as a Knowledge Lawyer, reporting to Clare Semple, Head of Knowledge Management for Litigation & Regulatory and Key Partner stakeholders, principally Leon Taylor and Tricia Hobson, supported by key international Insurance Partners in our International Litigation & Regulatory Group (Jane Childs, Christian Schneider, Vonnick Le Guillou and David Maria Marino).
The successful candidate will provide effective insurance and reinsurance technical specialism to enhance the ability of the international insurance and reinsurance practices to build brand profile within what is a highly mature and competitive marketplace for legal service providers.
The purpose of the role is to:
- Help develop and deliver on the Knowledge strategy for the Insurance subgroup within the Litigation & Regulatory Group, in line with the firm's overarching Knowledge approach, working closely with Knowledge team colleagues and fee-earners across our international Insurance disputes and regulatory network
- Enhance the quality of the subgroup’s legal practice and to be a role model for technical knowledge, skill and advisory techniques in the subgroup
- Develop and support on delivery of both client-facing and internal technical training
- Champion the firm's vision for Knowledge across the Insurance disputes and regulatory subgroup
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensuring that lawyers are kept aware of legal, regulatory and commercial developments and providing analysis of the impact of significant developments and how they will affect the practice’s business and its clients
- Co-ordinate and work with fee-earners and the marketing teams to execute on the client-facing business development strategy of the Insurance subgroup
- Routine provision of ideas and collateral to support the production of regular technical legal and sector updates for clients on contentious insurance and reinsurance issues and emerging market risks and trends and supervising/editing the final output
- Development of internal technical resources to build knowledge databases and precedents relevant to our international insurance and reinsurance disputes and regulatory lawyers
- Ensuring relevant legal technical training for the team is in place, which will include preparing and updating training materials, delivery of some training sessions, and supporting fee earners to deliver training
- Sharing knowledge best practice and training internationally
- Working with the professionals in our Cross Operational Group (including Process Improvement, Legal Project Management, Legal Technology, IT, Electronic Data Management, Resource Management and Business Development) to help develop and promote best practice in legal disputes process and in use of disputes tools and technology
- Attending external training conferences to keep up to date with relevant developments in the law, business environment and Knowledge
- Experience developed within market-leading insurance practices, working in contentious international insurance and reinsurance matters across a wide range of classes of business in both coverage and third party liability disputes is highly desirable. Experience of insurance regulatory issues (contentious and/or non-contentious) would also be useful
- A demonstrable ability to work both with clients and fee-earners on day-to-day matters and the ability to assist in developing the business
- Experience of developing and running training programmes on technical insurance and reinsurance issues for internal teams and for clients
- Strong academics and an ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders, distilling complex matters into easily comprehensible language
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, working to sometimes conflicting timescales in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Ability to build trust and rapport, and to develop effective relationships, both internally and externally
- Experience of working internationally is preferable
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold - we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional - we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We know that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.