Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here .
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Ashurst has identified the digital economy as one of the five critical areas of focus for the firm on an international basis, and so is investing heavily in developing the Digital Economy Transactions Group in London. This group is looking to position itself at the forefront of the new digital age, advising traditional players in the telecoms, media, technology and strategic sourcing sectors as well as more widely on the issues being experienced by all businesses, across all industries, in the face of the disruption and new opportunities brought about by the developing digital economy.
In the last 12 months the London Digital Economy Transactions Group has recruited a partner and a senior associate to grow the data protection practice within the team. This new role would be working with this specialist unit within the digital economy team.
We are looking for a data protection associate to join the team and play a key role in the development of the data practice within the Digital Economy Transactions Group. This represents an exciting opportunity to be part of a developing, strategic, practice in a firm that is putting strategic and financial backing behind its growth.
The workload is expected to consist of the following:
- providing subject matter experts with strategic data protection advice including:
- risk based analysis of new projects and systems;
- data protection impact assessments;
- structuring new initiatives, from use of artificial intelligence through to data sharing projects;
- contract negotiations concerning complex data flows;
- advising on the data protection compliance of new technologies;
- advising on the compliance of overseas transfers of data and assisting clients with transfer impact assessments; and
- advising on responses to ICO complaints and investigations.
You will have the opportunity to:
- lead on projects;
- develop and lead client relationships with both existing and new clients;
- develop more junior members of the team;
- work with colleagues in other practice areas and offices;
- play a key role in developing thought leadership, including through presenting at seminars and conferences and issuing think-pieces on cutting edge technology issues; and
- be an ambassador for the digital economy practice across the firm.
Essential skills and experience:
The successful candidate is likely to:
- have at least 2 years post qualification experience focussing on data protection, possibly augmented with relevant in-house experience;
- have strong technical ability, particularly in conducting data protection impact assessments, drafting data protection clauses in contracts, policy drafting and advising on international transfers;
- be able to demonstrate a strong understanding of issues faced by clients in the face of the developing digital economy, in particular adopting a commercial perspective rather than academic approach to legal issues;
- have experience of helping grow client relationships;
- be a real team player; and
- be able to demonstrate the entrepreneurial spirit and energy necessary to help push this important initiative forward.
An established Associate Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.
Opportunities often arise for associates to spend time on secondment in house with a key client of the firm. From time to time, secondment opportunities also come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia.