Our market- leading UK transactional real estate business is growing and we are now looking for a Property (Public Sector/Private Sector) Development Lawyer with 0-4 years’ PQE to join our Birmingham team (Manchester applicants will also be considered).
If you would like to be part of our successful team, then read on…
Did you know?
- We employ over 400 specialist real estate lawyers in the UK
- Our market leading practice is consistently recognised in the top tiers by both Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners
- We have 232 lawyers based in Birmingham, including 55 real estate specialists
- We have a dedicated team of lawyers who specialise in the delivery of public sector led development and regeneration projects across our UK network
- We are well connected to help make introductions, our clients include regional, national and global organisations in the public and private sectors, including investors, developers, banks and central and local government
- Law Firm of the Year at the Legal Business Awards 2021
- Property Team of the Year at The British Legal Awards 2017 & 2019
Don’t take our word for it…
“Full-service real estate practice acting for an impressive roster of blue-chip clients. Noted for its adept handling of investment, asset management and development matters, with expertise across a broad range of sectors, including commercial, automotive and retail. Regularly handles large residential development schemes and also enjoys a fine reputation for its real estate work in the energy and infrastructure spaces.”
Chambers and Partners 2022
Putting the role in context
Our team – you will be in good company!
You will be joining our Property Development & Investment Team in Birmingham which consists of our general transactional real estate team which is one of the leading and most well-established teams in the city. We advise clients across the whole spectrum of real estate acquisition, development, funding, investment and asset management requirements, with particular focus on large scale city centre regeneration schemes, public sector led development opportunities, new business park developments, Grade A office developments and investments, major logistics and manufacturing projects and new urban settlements. Led by Partner Tom Johnson, the team has delivered some of the largest deals in the city over the last decade, as well as routinely advising on high value and complex transactions across the UK. The well-established partner team across the department is made up of partners who are well recognised in the market.
As part of that transactional team, you would also join:
- Our UK public sector development team which is described by the Legal500 as ‘professional and proactive’ with leading expertise in the housing regeneration space, illustrated by its ongoing work for numerous local councils relating to large-scale developments across the region. The 'very experienced and pragmatic' David Meecham leads the UK public sector development practice (working with Anne Bowden as head of our UK local government sector), specialising in regeneration matters across the country (often advising on the interplay between real estate regeneration and public procurement/subsidy control). In addition, the team is well known for its expertise in cutting edge transactions, emerging funding models and regional investment funds. Didar Dhillon stands out for his expertise in key areas of local government policy, including carbon reduction issues, regeneration schemes and revenue generation work.
- Our social housing practice which is also led by David Meecham, who routinely acts for Homes England, local authorities, both local and national, on major housing-led regeneration projects. He works in close tangent with Rebecca Rowley, a public sector expert who primarily focuses on housing-led schemes, and Louise Wager, who has nearly 30 years’ experience of working with Homes England along with housing-led delivery solutions including modern methods of construction.
We have a strong forward book of business in this practice, supported by significant and long-standing client relationships, including:
- Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council & Hampshire County Council
- Birmingham City Council
- Bracknell Forest Borough Council
- Brent London Borough Council
- Cardiff City Council
- Coventry City Council
- Crawley Borough Council
- Ebbsfleet Development Corporation
- Homes England
- Kier Property
- Lovell Partnerships
- London Borough of Hackney
- London Borough of Harrow
- London Borough of Waltham Forest
- London Borough of Redbridge
- London Borough of Southwark
- Ministry of Defence
- Sandwell Borough Council
- Urban & Civic
- Watford Borough Council
- Westminster City Council
What our client say about us:
"He is diligent, proactive and knowledgeable." Chambers
“David Meecham is solution-driven and has an excellent understanding of client requirements” Legal500
"She is very knowledgeable, collaborative and good to deal with." "She is extremely diligent and thorough but also personable and able to demystify complex issues."
“Anne Bowden provides clear and concise legal advice which is centred on providing a commercial solution.” Legal500
"Tom is a very able and practical lawyer. During the COVID-19 pandemic he has really put the effort in to keep transactions on track and kept on top of all the various moving parts." Chambers
Work highlights include:
- Advising the NEC Group on the property and commercial contracts with the NHS to enable the set up and use of the NEC site in Birmingham as a Nightingale Hospital.
- Acting for the Urban Growth Company a development company created by Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council in connection with the £300m upgrade of Birmingham International railway station.
- Advising Birmingham City Council on the competitive dialogue procurement of a joint venture/development partner for delivery of exemplar estate regeneration of its Ladywood Estate in Birmingham city centre.
- Advising Homes England and numerous local authorities on the payment of, and receipt of, grant funding pursuant to the Housing Infrastructure Fund (forward fund) for the strategically important unlocking of significant housing sites for delivery through the payment of significant funding for delivery of (otherwise unviable) infrastructure.
- Advising the London Borough of Waltham Forest on its procurement of a development partner (through the GLA’s London Development Panel 2 framework) to deliver the Waltham Forest Town Hall Campus development.
- Advising Cardiff Council and nine other regional local authorities on the establishment and implementation of the £1.2bn City Deal.
- Advising several councils (including Coventry City Council, Solihull Metropolitan Council and Rugby Council) on the joint procurement of a new state of the art waste materials recycling facility which will be owned and financed by the councils via a corporate joint venture vehicle.
- Advising Bracknell Forest Borough Council on the procurement of a private sector partner, Countryside, to establish a corporate joint venture for the development of a number of council owned sites in the borough.
We are now looking to appoint a lawyer to join our team who:
- is newly qualified and/or a junior real estate lawyer with up to 4+ years’ PQE
- has gained experience in a large commercial firm or in-house legal team dealing with development-related work including involvement at a junior level in residential developments, mixed use developments and/or regeneration projects whether for the public or private sector
- is a proven team player, able to forge strong working relationships with colleagues in an agile environment
- has excellent academics, is technically accomplished, with sound commercial judgment
- has the interpersonal skills necessary for developing on-going relationships with an existing client base as well as helping to win and grow new opportunities
What will we offer you?
- The opportunity to play a key role in our public sector development practice (supporting David and Anne), becoming an integral part of that well-established national team across the PM offices.
- The chance to be involved in a wide variety of complex and intellectually challenging transactions for major clients that will enable you to develop your legal and practical skills and experience and take your career to the next level
- The investment we make in you through our first-class training and career development programme – we will help you to develop as an all-round development lawyer, with exposure to valuable sector-focused experience and the opportunity to deliver "best in class" services.
- The opportunity to take responsibility for your matters and grow a strong network of client and colleague relationships, both within the Midlands and via our UK and international network
- Competitive salary and benefits package including a generous bonus scheme
To apply for this role
Should you require further details, please contact our in-house Lateral Recruitment Advisor Karen Rawlings who can discuss the role and requirements.
At Pinsent Masons we value diversity and inclusion. We are committed to creating a better workplace where all our talent can succeed and feel like they belong. We want to attract, retain and develop people at all levels and encourage applications from all suitably qualified candidates whatever your ethnicity, religion, age, physical or mental disability/ long term condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristics protected by local law in the jurisdictions in which we operate.
About Pinsent Masons, a market-leading professional services firm, with law at its core
For more about Pinsent Masons, have a look at the information via the following link
About us (pinsentmasons.com)