Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
The Finance department is responsible for ensuring proper systems are in place for time recording, billing, client accounting, purchase ledger, payroll and cash management together with the necessary reports to support both the department and wider business with accurate and reliable information.
This role has responsibility for the development of financial and management reports using Power BI, Paginated report builder and Excel using data sourced from the 3E Data Insights data warehouse and other firmwide systems such as Cascade, Interaction and Open. Working within the Finance Systems team, the role will take the lead in maintaining common reporting templates and applying these consistently across a range of reporting requirements covering both financial and non-financial data.
What you'll be doing
- Development of financial and management reports to support the management of the business using Power BI, Paginated Report builder, Excel, VBA, and SQL.
- Manage data requirements using the 3E Data Insights console and SQL to source report data from within 3E and other systems to meet reporting requirements.
- Own the Power BI development pipelines that support the online reporting suite of Power BI and Paginated reports.
- Work with users to understand reporting requirements from fee earner and support departments and to lead on the specification, design, development, and delivery of reporting output.
- Maintain a development log to track report requests and developments to help prevent duplication and maintain the focus on priority requirements and best practice.
- Documentation of data sources and report definitions for the purposes of maintaining a finance reporting dictionary.
- Provide documentation and support to users in relation to the understanding and analysis of data contained in reports.
The role will also provide support to the Finance Systems Manager, Finance team and other users in the delivery of ad hoc requests and project work on systems developments, enhancements, and upgrades both within Finance and to support the wider business.
What you'll need
- Advanced experience of report development using Power BI and 3E data structures.
- Ability to prioritise work effectively and meet deadlines.
- Confident working with and analysing data.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical users.
- Strong team player able to work independently on specific tasks.
- A methodical and logical approach, adjusting priorities to meet changing work demands.
- Ability to understand user reporting requirements and use initiative with a positive and proactive attitude in proposing solutions.
- Professional approach to successfully interact with colleagues and external suppliers.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Drive and enthusiasm.
Experience and skills
The successful candidate must have experience working in a professional services environment using a recognised practice management system and reporting product, preferably with experience of Elite 3E and Power BI.
The candidate must also have experience of
- Report design and development in a financial environment.
- Using SQL to interrogate databases.
- Advanced use of Excel, preferably including VBA skills.
Having knowledge of financial systems and processes in a legal practice would be a distinct advantage.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.