We are recruiting a Secretary within our Intellectual Property & Technology team in London.
In many of our offices, ‘Hubs’ have transformed how secretarial services are delivered; with team members sharing the workload. Hubs also provide opportunities for developing a broader range of skills for pursuing a defined career path, networking and knowledge-sharing. These opportunities were not possible with the traditional model.
We are proud of our history of secretaries progressing to take leading roles in the strategy setting and day-to-day running of our secretarial function.
We have 4 levels of role in the team:
- Team Coordinator – Manages and takes responsibility for the efficient running of the team. Oversees incoming work flow. Distributes tasks appropriately amongst the team whilst operating as a senior level Secretary. Responsible for communicating with fee earners to keep them appraised of a task or project status. Senior Secretary - Takes ownership for the efficient running of the team by role-modelling as an effective and responsible team member and acts as workflow supervisor where required. Secretary - Provides general secretarial and administration services as part of the secretarial team. Team Apprentice – An apprenticeship level role for those developing their skills, undertaking routine administration tasks at the direction of the Team Coordinator.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Working collaboratively with the rest of the team, to deliver and provide exceptional secretarial support by:
- Taking responsibility to ensure work is undertaken in the most appropriate way to maximise efficiency
- Proactively managing workflow from the team inbox and completing tasks in priority order
- Coordinating internal and external client meetings effectively ensuring rooms and conference facilities are booked, liaising with attendees and ensuring that any required catering and technical equipment is in place
- Manage fee earner expectations in terms of deadlines and status of tasks undertaken
- Organising travel arrangements through the travel portal including booking and confirmation of reservations, flights, hotels, taxis, after flight transfers. Liaising with third party provider to obtain visas and producing detailed itineraries
- Understanding DLA Piper document management processes (iManage)
- Utilising document production for the creation of all first draft documents
- Assisting fee earners with the organisation of meetings including preparation of agendas and collating meeting papers in a timely manner
- Organisation of file management including closing of files, archiving and ensuring all relevant documents are filed electronically and in line with our file management best practice
- Understanding the end-to-end billing process including creating standard bills, disbursements, amending narratives and raising credit notes
- Understanding the client matter opening, client reporting and client balances processes
- Completing financial reports where required, from internal systems highlighting outstanding monies to be billed and updating particular client financial schedules where necessary
- Managing group and fee earner contacts to ensure they are up to date through Interaction (CRM tool)
- Providing administrative support to fee earners with conflict searches and audit requests
- Assisting on ad-hoc projects as and when required, for example managing bundles, assisting during team events, indexing documents, etc.
- Previous experience within a professional services environment
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong organisation and prioritisation skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- GCSE Maths and English Grade 4 and above or equivalent
- Ability to demonstrate problem solving skills
- Flexible approach to working practices in order to meet business needs
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Friendly, personable and approachable
- Adaptable and flexible approach
- Conscientious and diligent
- Remains calm under pressure
- Eager to learn and develop skills
- Adopt a can do attitude
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully Be Collaborative - we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships Be Bold - we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions Be Exceptional - we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We know that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.