Patent Litigation Associate (4-7 yrs PQE) - London
We are currently looking to recruit a talented 4-7 yrs PQE Intellectual Property lawyer to join Pinsent Masons' Intellectual Property and Life Sciences teams in our London office.
The candidate will be a highly technical lawyer with a strong enthusiasm for, and understanding of, the practical and technical elements of pharmaceutical patent litigation. Experience of medical device and/or high-tech patent litigation would also be useful.
A first degree in a scientific discipline (for example, molecular biology, biochemistry or chemistry) would be advantageous but is not essential. The candidate will have real ambition and will be able to work effectively in a team. The candidate can expect to have significant independent interaction with clients.
Pinsent Masons LLP has a highly respected and experienced IP team which is one of the largest in the UK advising a wide range of life sciences, blue chip technology, manufacturing, and retail companies on business critical IP litigation to achieve market access and to maintain market positions, as well as all aspects of the exploitation and enforcement of their intellectual property rights. We have approximately 50 lawyers in the Intellectual Property practice in the UK alone.
Our intellectual property contentious team is involved in precedent setting actions before the High Court, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and CJEU in both hard and soft IP. We have been involved in 3 cases before the Supreme Court as well as references to the CJEU and are developing a strong pan-EU offering in respect of the Unified Patent Court (UPC).
The contentious and non-contentious intellectual property work is done in a standalone, unitary IP team which services its own clients as well as those of the wider firm. The work includes advising clients on freedom to operate, strategic business critical litigation, managing their intellectual property and optimising their returns and investment. It also includes advising on potential collaborations with third parties and on the IP aspects of the sale or purchase of businesses.
A substantial number of the team have science backgrounds in a wide range of disciplines such as biological sciences, electronics, physics and chemistry. Coupled with legal expertise, this puts the team as one of the leaders in handling challenging IP disputes. In addition, the team has extensive experience of specialist sectors such as life sciences, pharmaceuticals, high tech, retail, ICT, financial services, automotive, natural resources and universities to list but a few.
Many of the matters which the team handles include an international element and there is a considerable knowledge base within the team concerning practices and the variety of ways disputes are handled in other jurisdictions, as well as regular opportunities to collaborate with IP colleagues across Pinsent Masons' international offices. Such knowledge is essential where cross-border factors are involved or forum shopping is an issue.
Introduction to Life Sciences at Pinsent Masons
Pinsent Masons has one of the most comprehensive life sciences offerings of any firm in the UK and that is supplemented by sector specific expertise in a number of our international offices.
Our UK Life Sciences team has market leading practices in the following areas:
- Patent litigation
- Licensing and collaboration
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate finance
- Capital markets
In addition the firm has product liability experience, industry specific tax expertise (Patent Box, EIS, R&D Tax Credits, EMI Share Options schemes) and supplementary services such as employment and property law.
Life Sciences is a key industry sector focus for the firm and one in which there will be further growth. This is reflected in a number of recent awards for our team including:
- Winner: Europe – Cross-border Patent Litigation Team of the Year: for Teva and others (Truvada SPC) at Managing IP EMEA Awards 2021
- Industry Partner of the Year – Global Generics & Biosimilars Awards 2021
- Winner – TMT and Life Sciences Team of the Year at the British Legal Awards 2019
- Winner – ‘UK Patent Contentious Firm of the Year’ and ‘Impact Case of the Year’ at Managing Intellectual Property EMEA Awards 2020
- Winner - Impact Case of the Year’ at Managing Intellectual Property EMEA Awards 2019
- Shortlisted – Patent Contentious Team of the Year, Managing IP Awards 2022
The Candidate Required
The successful candidate will:
- have been working in a well regarded intellectual property team, have patent litigation experience and have a strong client focused approach;
- be a team player, able to forge strong working relationships with colleagues in an agile environment;
- be technically strong and able to exercise good commercial judgment;
- have the strong interpersonal skills necessary to develop strong relationships with clients and market contacts and across the wider firm.
The focus of the role is business critical patent litigation and related patent and regulatory advisory work.
What will we offer you?
- Our IP team works for a variety of high profile clients across a number of different sectors, including life sciences, manufacturing, technology, financial services, higher education and retail. We operate as a national team within the firm and there is scope and opportunity to work with lawyers and for clients across all of our UK and International offices.
- The team is committed to technical excellence, quality and outstanding client service and your continued development and learning will be our priority.
- We are a market leading, dynamic and growing global team who work together to produce outstanding results for our clients.
- We invest in our team and have a first-class training and career development programme. Our training reflects our position as a market leader in communications and sourcing. Our training will assist you to develop as a specialist with valuable sector knowledge and the ability to deliver "best in class" services.
Pinsent Masons has achieved more tier 1 rankings in The Legal 500 UK guide than any other firm, won the "Law Firm of the Year Award 2021 – Legal Business" and is recognised among the most innovative law firms in Europe by the Financial Times. The firm has been recognised as a leading lesbian, gay, bi and trans employer by LGBT charity Stonewall in its Top Global Employers Index 2020 for the fifth consecutive year. Please click here to view full list of our global awards and nominations - www.pinsentmasons.com/accolades
Should you require further details, please contact our in house Lateral Recruitment Advisor Johenn Choi who can discuss the role and requirements.
At Pinsent Masons we value diversity and inclusion. We are committed to creating a better workplace where all our talent can succeed and feel like they belong. We want to attract, retain and develop people at all levels and encourage applications from all suitably qualified candidates whatever your ethnicity, religion, age, physical or mental disability/long term condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristics protected by local law in the jurisdictions in which we operate.