Competition, Trade and Public Procurement Lawyer 5+ PQE – London
We are currently looking to recruit a lawyer specialising in State aid/subsidy control, public procurement and trade law, to join the EU & Competition (CEUT) Group, and to be based in our London office. We are looking for a candidate who has 6+ years PQE.
- We are looking for a candidate to work on UK and EU subsidy control and public procurement law matters as well as international trade, including WTO, law matters. The successful candidate will not be expected to advise on merger control or competition behavioural issues.
- The candidate will ideally have gained experience in a City law firm. We would also be interested in a candidate from the Brussels offices of City law firms or in-house lawyers from industry, the government or any of the competition regulators.
- Candidates must be technically excellent and have experience in the fields of EU State aid rules, UK subsidy control, the WTO Agreement on Subsidies and Counterbalancing Measures, UK and EU public (including utility, defence and concession) procurement laws with at least some experience in advising on trade, including WTO, issues. They should be willing to handle a mix of work in these areas.
- Experience in advising on contentious matters (including court proceedings, dispute resolution, regulatory complaints or instigations) in any of these areas would also be of interest.
- Although the successful candidate will not be required to advise on merger control and competition behavioural issues, a competition law background would be useful.
- We are looking for a candidate who is confident and articulate, and willing to take a lead role on matters and client relationships with appropriate partner support.
- We are also looking for someone who is commercially aware and enthusiastic about internal and external business development, and with an interest in innovation.
- They will be a team player with a strong client-focussed approach.
- They will also have a strong academic background and excellent communication and organisational skills.
The CEUT Group
The subsidy control/state aid, procurement and trade practice, is headed up by Dr Totis Kotsonis and advises private as well as public sector clients on the complete spectrum of these issues. The Practice is part of the CEUT Group, headed by Alan Davis. The Group is highly regarded, sizable and experienced with strength across all areas of competition law.
The successful candidate will be working closely with colleagues across the wider CEUT Group compromising 8 partners and 18 lawyers, in London, Birmingham, Glasgow, Dusseldorf and Munich.
This is an exciting time to join Pinsent Masons given the continued growth of the firm in the UK and internationally, including across Europe. It is also an opportunity to be a key part of the growth and expansion of the EU & Competition Group as we look to expand the team's presence in the UK and in Europe.
Recent projects includes:
- Advising the UK Government on its Covid-19 vaccination programme including the procurement and supply of the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine and the subsequent Autumn revaccination procurement;
- Advising an international client in the rail industry in relation to a public procurement law dispute in the High Court;
- Advising a major multinational energy client in relation to challenging a European Commission decision that gave rise to procurement obligations under the Financial Regulation;
- Advising the Department for Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) on the competition, subsidy control and procurement aspects of rolling out the single rural network programme;
- Advising a number of major ports on subsidy control compliance in relation to the setting up of freeports and, separately, the receipt of Government funding for infrastructure development;
- Advising multinational automotive industry clients on the implications of a number of post-Brexit bilateral treaty agreements and rules of origin requirements;
- Advising multinational clients on the implications of the Trade and Cooperation Agreement, as well as the Northern Ireland Protocol on their business activities in the UK and the EU.
Pinsent Masons has achieved more tier 1 rankings in The Legal 500 UK guide than any other firm, won the "Law Firm of the Year Award 2019 – Legal Business" for the second time and is recognised among the most innovative law firms in Europe by the Financial Times. Pinsent Masons was also named Law Firm of the Year 2018 by The Lawyer and is ranked No 4 on the UK Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2020 and named as one of Stonewall’s Top Global Employers 2020.
Should you require further details, please contact our in-house Lateral Recruitment Advisor Anwen John who can discuss the role and requirements.
At Pinsent Masons we value diversity and inclusion. We are committed to creating a better workplace where all our talent can succeed and feel like they belong. We want to attract, retain and develop people at all levels and encourage applications from all suitably qualified candidates whatever your ethnicity, religion, age, physical or mental disability/ long term condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristics protected by local law in the jurisdictions in which we operate.