COMMERCIAL PRACTICE DEVELOPMENT LAWYER – BIRMINGHAM, MANCHESTER OR LEEDS
About the Team
Our market leading international Commercial Team works across our global offices advising household name clients on business-critical projects across the full spectrum of commercial contract work. We are proactive, commercial and pragmatic, take pride in delivering our work efficiently in an easily digestible format and think outside the box to find innovative solutions. We act as a seamless extension to our clients' management, procurement and in-house legal teams advising on strategic projects, commercial contract drafting and negotiations, assisting with precedent and legal process development and advising on day-to-day commercial contract matters.
We are leaders in innovation and are not afraid to do things differently. We deliver creative solutions using the very best people, process and technology. This gives an unparalleled opportunity for team members to embrace the future of law and be at the forefront of these developments within the legal industry and our clients’ businesses.
In the UK, we work as a national team across our Birmingham, Edinburgh, Leeds and Manchester offices. Immersing ourselves in Pinsent Masons’ global sectors, we have a truly excellent portfolio of clients including PLCs, multi-nationals and entrepreneurial companies, UK Central Government, Universities and education providers, cutting edge technology companies and sporting entities.
This is a new and exciting role to become the Commercial team’s first PDL lawyer, offering the opportunity to create and manage the resources and products required by our Commercial team to bid for, and act on, significant mandates across our global sectors. It also offers the chance to lead internal education for the team, join the pursuit teams in bidding for and winning new mandates, and contribute to publicising the team and its achievements through internal and external facing activities.
You will report to the Global Head of Commercial and will be required to establish good connections with the firm’s international team of PDLs, particularly those within our Corporate, TMT and Information Law teams.
The role is open to anyone who is available to join Pinsent Masons in its Birmingham, Leeds or Manchester office, with a split of office and remote working.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- creating and implementing the Commercial Team’s internal training programme (including training for junior fee earners and trainees). This will involve identifying training needs, delivering sessions yourself, and co-ordinating other speakers for sessions. You will also support in creating training and knowledge sharing initiatives with existing and prospective clients;
- leading the Commercial Team’s participation in our Transactional Services Group’s Knowledge, Training and Development team;
- taking control of all Commercial knowhow resources across the firm, evaluating their quality and coverage and putting in place resources and systems to address any shortfalls in quality or gaps in coverage and ensuring accessibility of knowhow resources to team members. This would include updating/maintaining existing templates and creating new templates and associated practice notes;
- providing research and practical experience and guidance to all team members on commercial contracts and other related matters;
- supporting the team in preparing bids and pitches (alongside our BD team) and, where appropriate, participating in BD activities such as client training and workshops;
- taking responsibility for creating and managing a central repository of BD collateral produced by the team;
- collecting deal information, knowhow and credentials from the team and capturing this within a database (either through existing tools or developing a new product);
- creating thought leadership material including regular content and bulletins for Commercial clients (e.g. via newsletters, OutLaw articles and/or other external publications);
- making use of our existing innovation tools as well as identifying new uses and how we may improve efficiencies in the way we do things.
Skill set required
Our ideal candidate will:
- be a qualified lawyer in England and Wales of at least 6 year’s PQE gained in a large commercial practice of a firm recognised for this type of work;
- be currently working for a large international law firm recognised for its commercial contracts work either within its commercial contracts team or in a commercial contracts PDL role;
- be experienced in advising on all aspects of commercial law and commercial contracts;
- have the ability to engage with lawyers at different levels, from partner to trainee, and be an excellent communicator with high quality drafting and IT skills;
- be tenacious with well developed people skills;
- have an enthusiastic and resourceful approach, being a pro-active and motivated self-starter with excellent organisational skills and an enjoyment of working to deadlines; and
- ideally be available to work full time although we will also consider part time / flexible working.
Should you require further details, please contact our in-house Lateral Recruitment Advisor Anwen John who can discuss the role and requirements. If you are looking to apply please apply via the Pinsent Masons website.
At Pinsent Masons we value diversity and inclusion. We are committed to creating a better workplace where all our talent can succeed and feel like they belong. We want to attract, retain and develop people at all levels and encourage applications from all suitably qualified candidates whatever your ethnicity, religion, age, physical or mental disability/ long term condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristics protected by local law in the jurisdictions in which we operate.