Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Who we are
We are a global law firm that continues to grow in size, reputation and expertise. As a result, we are looking to recruit a newly qualified solicitor to join our Commercial Litigation team in Manchester. The role will provide exposure to an incredibly varied range of dispute resolution work of real importance, to include litigation, arbitration and ADR.
We encourage our lawyers to think beyond the law and into the commercial by acquiring excellent technical expertise, client management and profile raising skills. Our team's profile is increasing within the Manchester office and beyond, and we empower our Solicitors and Associates to take ownership over their marketing efforts. If you can bring your ideas, experiences and expertise, we can give you an opportunity to succeed.
We know that the best solutions are found when you're collaborating which is why you will be well supported at partner level and by other fee-earners, not just in your immediate team but throughout the whole department.
What you'll be doing
Your caseload will consist of a variety of commercial litigation matters, to include breach of commercial contracts, claims in tort, professional negligence and other areas of our specialisms. We have specialist experience in contentious procurement matters, reputation management work, contentious insolvency, breach of confidence, directors' duties and post termination restrictions (where we often work closely with colleagues from our employment teams). We are regularly involved in High Court litigation, arbitration and mediation/other forms of ADR. Your work will be very varied, and you will gain experience in all of the areas in which we operate. And you will have real opportunities to progress.
- Handling your own caseload, with appropriate supervision;
- Assisting Partners and senior Solicitors with more substantial disputes;
- Meeting targets as agreed and managing files, time and billing efficiently and in a cost-effective manner;
- Actively participating in marketing initiatives, including attending conferences, giving and assisting with presentations, writing articles and creating marketing materials;
- Legal research;
- Building and maintaining effective client relationships;
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions;
- Training and development of junior staff (where appropriate).
- Comply with core competencies as appropriate to the fee earner level of qualification;
- Active participation in client and business development activities;
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
The firm operates a Career Development Framework, a merit based and clearly defined career structure which sets out the competencies we expect of those at this grade and beyond. In particular, for this role we require:
- Excellent academic record;
- Qualified Solicitor with a training seat undertaken in Commercial Litigation within a recognised Legal 500 team;
- Strong client focus and a commitment to service delivery;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Commercial awareness;
- Credibility; and
- Flexibility and a 'can do' attitude.
- Good team player.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.