The IT Software Asset Manager (SAM) is responsible for the lifecycle management of all software licensing including SaaS and cloud consumption across the International business.
The role includes planning, monitoring and recording of all software licences to ensure compliance with vendor contracts including managing metering, auditing, true up and decommissioning events. The role involves managing and optimising the purchase of all software in line with IT strategy, ensuring investments are timely and efficient based on regular review of needs and usage audits.
The IT Software Asset Manager will provide an accurate account of software lifecycle costs and risks to maximize the value of IT strategic sourcing decisions. They will be a key stakeholder in Release Management and Configuration Management and an influencer of the Enterprise Architecture, Cloud COE, Solution design and Project Delivery functions.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with key stakeholders across IT including Service Owners, Cloud Centre of Excellence, IT Finance and Procurement to define and implement SAM policy and processes, including defining and implementing control processes for cloud consumption management
- Manage and support the complete SAM lifecycle – interfacing SAM tools and processes with other tools (currently Flexera and AMS-X/SCCM)
- Develop the SAM Analyst with a focus on enhancing SAM skills and abilities
- Manage the external SAM Managed Service Provider (currently Software One), working collaboratively with the supplier and internal stakeholders ensuring service remains fit for purpose and continues to deliver value
- Interface and communicate frequently with Service Owners and other stakeholders to advise on application usage and deployment, and contracted obligations, as well as re-harvesting opportunities
- Manage software licensing, SaaS, PaaS and IaaS inception and consumption administration processes alongside Service Owners, Cloud Centre of Excellence and Procurement
- Support Service Owners, Procurement and IT Finance with the purchasing process for software licensing, SaaS, PaaS and IaaS solutions
- Contribute to workflow improvements for application and service requests
- Drive the development of a mature software catalogue and the interface with SAM
- Drive efficiencies and cost-savings continually through on-going software metering and monitoring
- Contribute to the annual budget planning process and the longer-term strategic IT planning process
- Support RFI / RFP activities confirming requirements by working closely with stakeholders and supporting Procurement to negotiate contract terms when required
- Identify and lead improvements through SAM process efficiencies
- Develop vendor relationships in the software space and support Service Owners with service reviews
- Software Asset Manager with in-depth knowledge of SAM tools and processes, experience preferably gained in a global environment
- In depth knowledge of complex licensing (including Microsoft, IBM, VMware and Cisco) with the ability to match business requirements to market-place capabilities
- A self-starter, highly motivated, open to new challenges and driven to get things done
- Ability to lead by example to ensure practical processes are implemented and followed, ensuring accuracy with a full audit trail
- Strong stakeholder skills, acts with integrity, tact and diplomacy to formulate trust at all levels
- Proactive communication skills with a variety of communication styles and the ability to understand the audience and tailor style accordingly
- A continuous improvement mind-set
- Understands the impact of change across DLA Piper's International environment
- Looks to find the root cause of issues and knowledge of when quick wins or long-term solutions are appropriate
- Ability to remain calm and focused whilst under pressure
- Experience of working in a global business environment with sound understanding of global process and transactional flows
- Experience in managing and developing a team
- Experience in using SAM tools alongside other IT service delivery tools to automate software distribution, software tracking, compliance auditing and software metering capabilities
- Knowledge of ITIL Service Management including SAM
- Degree level or equivalent with a track record of continuous professional and management development
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold - we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional - we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We know that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.