It's all about the opportunity now - for you and us.
In times, when the world had to face some great challenges, we shown our values are not only phrases, but the true ethos of who we are and shown that being supportive, collaborative, exceptional and most of all bold had given us the opportunity to become stronger, continue evolving and invest in change. DLA Piper is a global law firm on its transitional journey, both internationally and locally. While we shape to be better globally, we also organically grow on a regional scope, hence the reason we are here today looking for you to join our Sheffield office, make a difference and be bold.
This is your opportunity to join an exciting business, within the International Financial Compliance team for Finance, and a key aim of the role is to support the team to develop an effective compliance culture within DLA Piper on Finance policies and procedures.
Financial Compliance, part of the Accounting, Control and Compliance team, is based in Sheffield, but supports the firm internationally on day-to-day financial compliance obligations and reporting on compliance with both external and internal obligations to the CFO/COFA, Audit Committee and Country Managing Partners. This includes ensuring that the requirements of the Solicitors Regulation Authority and other external regulators are met, along with reporting on internal controls and processes, developing finance policies, and maintaining a mechanism for recording Finance issues. The team also performs business compliance review visits to all the international Finance teams and provides training and advice on financial compliance queries from the fee-earning community as well as Finance.
Be bold like us and take the opportunity we offer. Apply!
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with the monthly compliance report on international bank reconciliations / suspense balances / client money issues for review
- Assist with review of residual client balances internationally to ensure that appropriate action is being taken, particularly regarding the oldest balances, following up with local teams to progress, with regular reporting to Finance leadership on status/problems
- Support specific international client money compliance work (previously performed by external audit). To cover: Monitoring and assessment of the client money controls and processes in the Warsaw shared service centre, including annual reviews for transactions in England and Scotland
- Additional six-monthly requirements for The Law Society of Scotland certificates
- Audits of other offices as required
- Extract from the Finance system monthly client money totals from across the international firm for reporting to the regulator
- Monitoring and reporting on compliance with monthly and annual accounting, including monthly control checklist / spot checks (variance analysis, reconciliations), annual fraud questionnaire
- Support the maintenance of an international Finance issues log for consideration by firm management, which highlights main compliance risk areas
- Support the Senior Financial Compliance Officer where necessary with the administration and documentation of review visits for reporting to the Audit Committee
- Assist with business compliance review and follow-up work on selected international financial compliance reviews (including the shared service centre and central finance teams) on compliance with a full range of financial risks
- Support the Financial Compliance team to research, document and implement a full suite of international Finance policies
- Regularly review and update these Finance policies to ensure that they stay up to date with relevant legislation and changes to the business, and ensure changes are appropriately communicated
- Support the Financial Compliance team to develop and deliver training on key areas by the identification of generic issues which need training or new regulations
- Provide advice on a range of compliance issues to emphasise the 'why' of compliance as well as the 'how'
- Support the firm in the transition to a new finance system and the process/policy changes that might be required on implementation
- Financial compliance projects work on specific areas of concern
- Be a graduate, possibly studying for an accountancy qualification (not a pre-requisite), or have similar experience
- Have good communication skills, both written and verbal, and be fluent in English
- Have strong IT skills, particularly MS Excel and MS Teams
- Be comfortable working to deadlines and providing timely reporting
- Be able to report with clarity on the issues identified and actions needed to resolve those issues
- Be able to make clear assessments on the priority and severity of reporting
- Be able to build and maintain strong productive relationships with the international finance teams
- Demonstrate patient and collaborative personal working style
- Possess the drive to use own initiative to delve into a task to learn and understand it fully
- Be able to handle multiple priorities, working to sometimes conflicting timescales in a fast-paced and challenging environment
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive - we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and act thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we are proactive, passionate team players, investing in our relationships
- Be Bold - we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional - we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.