Ashurst is a leading progressive global law firm with a rich history, celebrating its bicentenary in 2022. We are proud of our history and future-focused, having expanded into new technologies through our NewLaw division, Ashurst Advance, and our consulting arm. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing excellent standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit www.ashurst.com .
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Change & Business Improvement (CBI), responsible for delivering change initiatives across the firm, is looking for an experienced Programme Manager to join the team and work with the Chief Digital Officer (CDO) to shape up and deliver a programme of work that will unlock the value of the firm's digital enablers and data strategies. v
Hours of work
Monday to Friday, 09.00 to 17.30. You will be required to work such hours as are necessary to carry out your duties, noting that some projects contain global stakeholders so call times may need to be adjusted to overlap.
Programme Manage the development and execution of the firm's digital enablers and data strategies - from the assessment of each opportunity and management of the approval process, to the design and execution of each project and finally to the management, tracking and reporting of projects in their first year of life.
The main responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Work closely with the CDO, programme board and project sponsors, cross-functional teams and assigned project managers to define and continuously monitor the programme roadmap and key capabilities to deliver
- Create a plan for the programme and continuously monitor and assess progress and resolve any potential issues to ensure set milestones are met
- Ensures executive sponsors and key stakeholders are informed about key risks and major issues impacting the programme and that decision points are escalated promptly
- Manage connections and dependencies between programmes and projects across the firm, develop relationships with key stakeholders and colleagues to support knowledge sharing and transparent communication
- Plan and develop scope, deliverables, required resources, work plan, budget, and timelines to successfully deliver capabilities in accordance to the programme roadmap
- Manage the programme budget and adapt it according to any change in requirements
- Work directly with technical and business teams
- Work with resource managers to plan and secure resource outside of the core programme team
- Manage and oversee any third party relationship, contracts and deliverables
- Work with the programme team and all stakeholders to identify risks and opportunities, assign ownership and action plans
- Produce regular high quality reporting at all levels in the firm to provide an update on progress, capabilities delivered and key challenges
Please note: this role is unlikely to be suitable for someone who needs a large team to produce great work at pace. You will be expected to have the capability and desire to undertake many of your duties yourself. This is a hands-on role, requiring a can-do attitude
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with the following skills and experience:
- At least five years' experience as a programme manager
- As you will be responsible for programme managing and delivering transformation and modernisation projects you must be comfortable working across all levels of stakeholders and third parties within a high performance environment and with a relentless focus on deliverables
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, along with a track record of establishing and maintaining effective relationships with stakeholders at all levels
- Diplomatic, able to help build consensus and support the programme board and key stakeholders to take effective decisions
- Experience of successful project delivery, managing and leading global projects through the full project lifecycle covering scoping, scheduling, costing, resourcing, change, communications, quality, risk and project closure
- Experience delivering business and tech projects
- Strong organisational and influencing skills, flexibility of style, attention to detail and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high pressured, detail-oriented environment
- High degree of initiative and independent judgment with excellent troubleshooting, decision-making and follow-through skills
- Remains calm under pressure, is confident to escalate issues or flag risks that may surface through the delivery of the programme.
- Experience in working in a global environment and across multiple time-zones
- AgilePM, PRINCE2 or equivalent project management certification
Desired skills and experience
- A high degree of digital and data literacy, with previous experience leading digital and data programmes preferred
- Knowledge of data capabilities including data quality and data governance frameworks
- Knowledge of cloud based technologies and integration strategies
- Understanding of data and privacy regulations such as GDPR, DPA, CCPA, OAIC Privacy Act
- Understanding of data analysis, data analytics and reporting methodologies
- Professional services experience in a global firm
- Good level of process improvement awareness and use of associated techniques (Lean, Six Sigma etc.)