Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Ashurst's Global loans / banking practice is recognised by its clients to be one of the most innovative and solution orientated legal practices in the City today.
As the challenges to our clients have increased over the last few years we have stayed true to our core offering of legal technical excellence wrapped in commercial awareness. This has enabled Ashurst to continue to fulfil the role of being a Trusted Advisor to our clients and strengthened our close relationships. The practice continues to go from strength to strength and currently has 17 partners and circa 50 other fee earners
We are looking for an Associate with experience in fund finance/subscription finance, looking to focus mainly in this product area and to help develop our market leading team. Experience in net asset value and debt-on-debt facilities would also be helpful but is not a prerequisite. There will also be times when you might support other parts of the global loans team (e.g. corporate lending or acquisition finance but the core focus will be fund finance).
Ashurst's Banking practice offers specialist advice on:
- buy-outs and other acquisition finance transactions;
- real estate finance;
- infrastructure financings;
- investment fund and warehousing financings;
- restructuring and refinancings;
- asset backed lending;
- strategic and impaired value debt purchases, including loan portfolio sales;
- secured and unsecured lending transactions; and
- treasury products generally.
You can expect to have exposure to a wide range of high quality transactions.
Main tasks and qualities
You would typically act on all elements of a financing from term sheet stage, through to closing and post-closing. Your specific areas of responsibility will be to draft and negotiate term sheets, security documents, intercreditor agreements and facilities agreements, ensuring a smooth process to transaction close
You will be expected to have client relationships and a desire to build on these and develop your own client network with support and guidance from the partners and wider team.
You would also be expected to manage projects that have been assigned to you, and liaise closely with colleagues, clients, counterparties and other advisers. You would be working as part of a committed and inspired friendly team that enjoys its work and considers itself a leader in its field of practice.
In addition to strong technical skills, you should be able to demonstrate an enthusiasm for business development and strong interpersonal skills as there will be significant client contact, in both the work and business development context
Essential skills and experience:
Mid level lawyer with Banking experience ;
- Qualified mid-level Banking lawyer with experience from a major law firm
- Strong general banking experience and ideally including fund finance
- Experience of drafting, reviewing and negotiating legal documents and agreements in a private practice environment
- An adaptable individual who is a fast learner, with experience practising in multiple jurisdictions.
- A team-player who can work effectively with colleagues at all levels
- Client facing experience and the ability to understand and respond effectively to client needs
- Experience of negotiating with counterparts
- A commercial approach
An established Associate Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.
Opportunities often arise for associates to spend time on secondment in house with a key client of the firm. From time to time, secondment opportunities also come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia.