Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
The firm's graduate recruitment and development team is based in London and forms part of a larger national and international HR department. The team is made up of three individuals – a Graduate Recruitment & Development Manager, a Graduate Recruitment & Development Officer and a Graduate Recruitment & Development Administrator.
The primary purpose of this role is to play an integral part in attracting and recruiting high-calibre trainee solicitors to the firm and assisting with the effective management of the two-year training and development programme.
What you'll be doing
- Managing end-to-end recruitment of 27+ trainees and 50 summer students into the London, Exeter, Manchester and Birmingham offices with the support of the Graduate Recruitment & Development Officer and Graduate Recruitment & Development Administrator.
- Responsible for screening applications, interviewing candidates, and promoting best practice across the firm.
- Regularly reviewing the recruitment process to ensure it enables to firm to recruit the best and most diverse talent.
- Overall responsibility for the firm's national Summer Vacation Scheme.
- Working closely with the Training Principal, Graduate Recruitment Partners and key stakeholders on hiring decisions.
- Overall responsibility for candidate experience, ensuring applicants have a positive interaction with the firm and decisions are communicated in a timely manner.
- Ensure recruitment activities support and are aligned to the firms Diversity Strategy.
- Design and implement the firm's attraction strategy.
- Overall responsibility for building relationships with key external stakeholders, such as advertisers, universities and diversity organisations.
- Responsibility for the schedule of marketing events – creating and attending (this will involve UK travel during busy periods).
- Overseeing social media strategy and content creation across LinkedIn and Instagram.
- Build upon our existing strengths in the arena of diversity and social mobility at graduate recruitment level.
- Providing HR generalist support to national trainee population and working closely with the Training Principal to monitor trainee performance.
- Management of the twice-yearly trainee seat-rotation process nationally and internationally, which will see the successful candidate interacting closely with all departments and trainee solicitors.
- Managing the trainees' mid-seat and end-of-seat appraisal process, reviewing all finalised documentation to have an overview of the development of each trainee.
- Effective management of the firm's qualification process every six months, working closely with the Training Principal.
- Ensuring compliance with SRA regulations and processes.
- Overseeing the circulation by the Graduate Recruitment & Development Assistant of key information relating to our Professional Skills Courses (both compulsories and electives) and ensuring attendance of our trainee solicitors to these events.
- Ad hoc graduate recruitment related projects as required.
- Responsibility for the Graduate Recruitment budget.
- Working closely with the Diversity & Inclusion Manager on a number of initiatives.
- Continuing the firm's strategic SQE project.
- Day to day management of the Graduate Recruitment Team.
- Being a key member of the Trainee Solicitors Committee and facilitating four meetings a year to keep the Partners informed of developments on the function's part.
- Overseeing certain CSR initiatives facilitated by the Graduate Recruitment & Development Team.
What you'll need
- Great attention to detail, including good use of grammar and numeracy
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent time-management and organisational skills
- A strong team leader and player
- Commitment and flexibility
- An ability to operate autonomously and / or with minimum supervision
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise work effectively and meet deadlines
- Strength of character and robustness
- Ability to gain credibility and raise profile (internally and externally)
- Personable and approachable style in order to build relationships at all levels
- The ability to multi-task and be effective under pressure
- Proven ability to deal with confidential matters with discretion
- Effective advisory and counselling skills
- Demonstrable good working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong experience of working in a client-facing, professional services environment
- Effective knowledge of the graduate marketplace / higher education landscape
- Previous solid graduate recruitment and trainee development experience
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.