Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
The Finance department is responsible for ensuring proper systems are in place for time recording, billing, client accounting, purchase ledger, payroll and cash management so that accurate and reliable information can be produced. The purpose of this role is to join the Cashiers team to provide an efficient and effective Cashiering service to fee earners, to ensure the Firm complies with the Solicitors' Accounts Rules (SAR) and to support the Finance Department.
What you'll be doing
- Full participation in the day to day activities of the office cashiers team
- Preparing payments on behalf of the firm including Partners drawings, Counsel fee notes and Expert fees
- Posting of disbursement recharges including supplier uploads and third party invoices including Counsel and Expert fees
- Disbursement reconciliations and Counsel fee note reconciliations
- Posting credits received from Overseas offices and currency sale
- Helping to ensure fee earners and other support staff comply with the firm's internal cashiering regulations and SAR
- Dealing with internal and external queries via the office cashier inbox
- Various ad hoc cashiering queries as allocated by Cashier Supervisor.
- Liaising with auditors and banks
What you'll need
- Ability to prioritise work effectively and meet deadlines
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- A strong team player
- A positive and proactive attitude
- An ability to operate autonomously and/or with minimum supervision
- Drive and enthusiasm
- Strong attention to detail with a methodical and logical approach
- Common sense
- Polite and professional manners
Experience and qualifications:
- Cashiering experience (essential)
- Previous law firm experience (essential)
- Good knowledge of the Solicitors' Accounts Rules (SAR) (essential)
- Knowledge of 3e (preferential)
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.