We are currently recruiting for a Legal Tech Project Manager to join our London office. This role has responsibility for the full lifecycle (including definition, documentation and delivery) of small to medium -scale, high-impact projects (or multiple projects simultaneously comprising of a small to medium team, with budgets up to of £500k and having significant strategic impact) undertaken within Legal Technology.
At Allen & Overy, we have led change in the legal sector for over 15 years. Our Legaltech Group builds on our longstanding reputation for leading the market, uniting our expertise in technological innovation, delivery and operation as A&O’s legaltech engine. We bring to life the art of the possible, and solve client and lawyer challenges with the inventive use of technologies.
As part of the firm’s broader Advanced Delivery offering, the Legaltech Group has a responsibility to provide flexible, scalable and creative tech-enabled solutions across our offices and practice groups. It is committed to easing and championing tech adoption across the firm and throughout the industry, turning ideas into fully-realised products, and working directly with clients to exploit the vast array of opportunities that technology can bring to their operations.
Role and responsibilities
- Work with the Project teams within Legal Technology to deliver improved products, processes, services and technologies that meet A&O standards and business requirements.
- Collaborate with vendors/suppliers to ensure successful delivery of solutions that satisfy business requirements.
- Co-operate with other IT teams to ensure the successful transition of new/amended services into business as usual (BAU) support.
- Work alongside Engagement Managers and Business Analysts to engage project/programme sponsors/stakeholders, and ensure the thorough and accurate capture of their business requirements.
Business change analysis
- With input from Business Analysts, ensure business cases quantify potential business benefits.
- Work with the business to ensure they consider the impact of, and are responsible for defining, training requirements, moreover manage the delivery of the training itself.
- Work with project sponsors to ensure the benefits identified in business cases have been updated throughout the project lifecycle, especially where changes have been made.
- Work with the business and Programme Leads, to ensure there are processes in place to track and measure business benefits (which were identified in the business case) following implementation of the project.
Projects & Programmes
- Accept responsibility for the definition, documentation and satisfactory completion of medium to large-scale projects (in terms of size and complexity).
- Implement, participate in and manage effective governance, as per the A&O project framework.
- Assume responsibility for the day-to-day delivery of multiple projects simultaneously
- Provide effective leadership and direction to project teams.
- Clearly define roles and responsibilities for all those involved in the project.
- Prepare realistic project and quality plans, and track activities against those plans. Provide accurate reports to stakeholders, as appropriate.
- Work with Programme Leads and Analysts to ensure plans are up-to-date at all times. Similarly, ensure requests for resources are submitted in a timely fashion.
- Ensure projects are delivered to agreed quality assurance standards.
- Review project progress, and effectively manage any changing requirements, dependencies, milestones, risks, issues and/or priorities.
- Ensure that project deliverables are completed in a timely manner and to planned cost and resource budgets, securing approval from the appropriate persons/bodies.
- Ensure that projects are formally closed and subsequently reviewed. Record all lessons learned.
- Conduct risk assessments, identifying mitigating actions and providing recommendations to the appropriate project governance bodies.
- Escalate any issues to the Programme Manager, or to the appropriate project governance body.
Keys Skills and Experience
- Proven Project Management experience with a very good track record of delivering projects on time, to budget and to agreed quality standards.
- Knowledge and experience of project management methodologies.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both orally and written.
- Strong experience in leading, managing and motivating medium to large-sized teams.
- Very good reporting, project planning and stakeholder management skills at all levels.
- Experience with Microsoft Project (or similar tools) to produce plans for programmes of work and individual projects.
- Ability to work under pressure, successfully prioritising work without compromising quality.
- Good knowledge of different software development methodologies e.g. waterfall, agile etc.
- Familiar with risk management techniques; risk identification, analysis, estimation and mitigation.
- Familiar with IT architecture, design, development methods, operational service & support.
- An enthusiasm and passion for technology. The ability to promote technology within the firm, using business-friendly language, seeking opportunities with tangible business benefits.
- Highly self-motivated, a self-starter who will undertake all activities to the highest professional standards.
- Commercial acumen, including an understanding of the overall picture of IT service costs and how IT adds value to the business.
- Knowledge of the IT market and trends.
- Experience of managing projects in the legal sector
- Project Management Professional (PMP).
- Degree qualified – preferred.
- Prince2 Certified Practitioner.
- Agile – SCRUM.
- Experience working within Rapid Application Development or Agile environments.
- Knowledge and experience of ITIL processes.
Should you require additional support at any stage of the recruitment process due to a disability or a health condition, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Allen & Overy’s recruitment team who will work with you to provide any reasonable adjustments as required.
At Allen & Overy, we recognise that our people are our most valuable asset, which is reflected in the wide range of benefits that are available to our employees. Some of these benefits include: our occupational pension scheme, group income protection cover, private medical insurance, mental health resources and free apps, health and wellbeing services encompassing an onsite gym, wellbeing centre and GP service, emergency back-up care support, parental and special leave, holiday entitlement increasing with length of service, holiday trading, season ticket loans and online discounts and lifestyle management services.
Allen & Overy recognises the value of flexible working and embraces hybrid working, allowing our people to work from home up to 40% of their working time. We do however remain committed to working together in person for the remaining 60% of time so that we can learn, grow and succeed together. If you would like additional flexibility we will of course consider this in line with business needs.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned our reputation as a firm that leads the industry and opens up new possibilities in law. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. We are defined by our consistent commitment to creating a collaborative and supportive working culture and investing in your progress. We’re committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional ambitions. Joining our global team, you’ll discover what collaborating on a global scale really looks like; you’ll learn how to help drive change; and you’ll be at the heart of an organisation that’s defining the future of law. If you’re ready to find a place to thrive: It’s Time.