Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy is a leading international legal practice with a truly global presence. We are renowned for the high quality of our corporate, capital markets, banking and litigation advice, and also have major strengths in areas such as governance, employment and benefits, real estate and tax.
Our deals and cases often make headline business news and we work with a large number of the top corporates, financial institutions, governments and investors. With many of our partners acknowledged as leaders in their fields, and with all our people demonstrating the highest levels of professionalism, we have a reputation for delivering excellence in all that we do.
The role as a professional support lawyer in our corporate finance and equity capital markets team requires up-to-date technical knowledge of the listing rules, company law and market practice. The successful candidate will be part of our broader Corporate Know-How Team, with particular responsibility for supporting our Tier 1 equity capital markets practice. You will work closely with the partners and other fee earners in a busy, friendly and supportive team with responsibility for managing our ECM resources, know-how and training and for keeping the team informed of regulatory and market changes. You will be pro-active in identifying issues on which the team and its clients need to be briefed, and able to pitch those briefings at the right level for the relevant audience. The ability to start a project and see it through to completion, together with a commitment to meeting regular deadlines, are essential qualities to maintain the smooth running of our range of added value services.
The role demands both creative thinking and efficient working: alongside our in-house specialists, you will have the opportunity to produce exceptional, innovative client products and events to enhance our brand; you will also have an important role in facilitating the day-to-day working of the corporate team through training, meetings and technical support. You’ll need a keen awareness of the wider commercial and corporate landscape, combined with an eye for operational detail and legaltech opportunities.
Allen & Overy’s PSLs are highly regarded members of the teams they support within our international network. The PSL role offers flexibility and good work/life balance and this particular role can be either full or part time, with a combination of in office and at home working.
ECM partners and other fee earners
Other Corporate partners and fee earners
Corporate Know-How Team/PSLs
Corporate Business Development/PR teams
Wider A&O Know-How community
Corporate legal knowledge (including of the regulatory framework applying to listed companies) and experience of advising on ECM transactions.
Principal areas of responsibility
- Under general guidance about priorities, produce and maintain high quality documentation to provide
- partners and associates with cost effective and timely precedents which help progress client business.
- Prepare effective guidance material such as practice notes to enable colleagues to access material which is fully up to date with law and practice.
- Prepare updates in line with legal developments to inform colleagues and clients of implications.
- Respond accurately, usefully and in a timely way to specific requests from partners and associates on complex legal matters within own area of expertise.
- As requested, research legal or client/market related material to provide senior colleagues with clear and authoritative analyses.
- Support partners and associates as required in their client relationship development through preparing and/or identifying useful written, electronic and training materials.
- Gather, synthesise and produce good quality, up to date and readable material for inclusion in the firm’s opinion pieces.
- Assist and when necessary, participate, in important Practice projects designed to ensure A&O’s knowledge base and documentation is maintained in line with new legislation, regulation, significant case law etc.
- Participate in the design and delivery of training programmes to inform colleagues and clients about current law, legal developments and implications.
- Maintain and develop own knowledge of law, practice areas, clients and current issues to grow expertise, reputation and usefulness to A&O.
- Identify and collaborate on legaltech opportunities for the ECM practice.
- Qualified lawyer – minimum of three years PQE (no upper limit)
- Technical competence in corporate law and corporate transactional experience as expected at level of qualification
- An understanding of the regulatory regime applicable to listed companies and experience of advising on ECM transactions
- Self-starter with the desire and ability to continuously acquire, build upon and share knowledge
- Will have worked successfully as a PSL or transactional associate in a leading law firm, or as an in-house lawyer at a listed company
- Ability to work with senior figures within a complex international organisation
- Strong commercial/business acumen with the ability to deliver creative, innovative and pragmatic solutions and advice
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface at all levels and particularly to win the respect of the partner, fee-earner and PSL community, building and developing strong (internal and external) client relationships
- Collaborative team player with the ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually rigorous environment
- High energy individual who enjoys both the operational and strategic sides of this role and shows great flexibility
- A person of sound judgment, able to establish a high level of credibility in the organisation and act as a trusted advisor to fee-earners
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. Embracing new trends and harnessing decades of experience, we’ve earned our place at the forefront of the legal industry. Our partners are recognised as leaders in their field and our deals and cases often make headline business news. As a result, we’ve developed a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that not only solve our clients’ challenges but exceed their expectations. By embracing new ways of thinking, integrating technology into our everyday work and putting our people first, we’ve become known for leading by example.
Join our team and you’ll be part of a flexible, inclusive culture underpinned by openness and consistent support for one another. Our culture enables people to define their own career path based on their strengths, while our ambitious outlook ensures we continue to provide each person with opportunities to thrive. We’re also committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. If you’re ready to play your part in defining the future of law: It’s Time.