Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
Real Estate is a key focus of our business. From investment and management of existing assets to major development and regeneration schemes, about 60% of our lawyers practice full-time in the sector across a wide range of disciplines including investment, finance, development, construction, asset management, planning, environmental and dispute resolution. We are ranked by The Lawyer as having one of the UK's Top 15 Real Estate practices overall.
From supporting clients with the creation of nationally significant new communities to helping to provide much needed affordable housing in Wolverhampton, our thinking extends beyond the day to day delivery of transactional and advisory legal services to provide our clients with fresh thinking and commercially driven solutions. Our multidisciplinary real estate team advises on investment and development across commercial, retail, residential and mixed use real estate, with a strong inward investment practice. Some of the teams' high profile transactions in the last year have included acting on one of Birmingham's largest "build to rent" projects, the new HS2 interchange and related regeneration in Solihull and advising the Government's homes acceleration agency in connection with the extension of a town in the South-East of England which could deliver up to 10,000 new homes.
What you'll be doing
In response to consistent client demand our team continues to grow and an exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Associate to join our Investment & Development team in Birmingham focusing primarily on residential development work. The team comprises 4 Partners and 8 lawyers and you will join to work on matters including: development projects for land promoters, housebuilders, government bodies, land owners and registered providers of social housing; joint venture arrangements, investment acquisitions and disposals and urban regeneration projects. For an experienced lawyer used to acting on residential development projects this role would be an excellent opportunity to focus on strategic land, large scale residential led regeneration and strategic urban extension schemes.
- Involvement in all property aspects of development and regeneration schemes, usually (but not exclusively) with a residential focus;
- Undertaking a mix of property work for private sector bodies, government bodies, and local authorities including establishing joint venture vehicles and collaborative arrangements;
- Providing assistance to partners on management and supervision of the wider team;
- Project management and working with other specialist teams on complex matters;
- Comply with core competencies as appropriate to seniority of the role;
- Building and maintaining and where possible initiating effective client relationships;
- Active participation in and, where appropriate leading, marketing initiatives;
- Responsibility for managing individual projects and transactions supported by supervising partners and assisted by junior team members;
- Responsibility for enhancing client satisfaction and loyalty by managing service delivery across multiple projects supported by partners and junior team members;
- Ensuring transactions are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions.
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the Senior Associate grades. In particular for this role we require:
- A qualified solicitor with at least 6 PQE (or equivalent) with significant prior experience with residential development work and at least some prior experience of strategic land and/or joint venture projects.
- Intellectual confidence including the ability to think creatively and without reliance on precedents or established procedure.
- Excellent technical skills (including advisory, drafting and negotiation) and an innovative approach to their application.
- Proven ability to take on responsibility, manage and progress projects independently where appropriate.
- Methodical, disciplined and organised approach.
- Strong client focus and service delivery.
- Substantial client management experience.
- Someone committed to ensuring the reputation of our firm is maintained and enhanced in the eyes of our diverse stakeholders (including clients and colleagues).
- Drive and enthusiasm, including a focus on and interest in the residential development sector.
- A proven team player with experience of working teams on significant projects and of delegating and supervising colleagues such as paralegals, trainee solicitors and qualified solicitors.
- Commercial awareness.
- Aptitude for business development.
- Some experience in origination/business development.
- Solid academic record.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.