Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Who we are:
Real Estate is a key focus of our business. From investment and management of existing assets to major development and regeneration schemes, about 60% of our lawyers practice full-time in the sector across a wide range of disciplines including investment, finance, development, construction, asset management, planning, environmental and dispute resolution. We are ranked by The Lawyer as having one of the UK's Top 15 Real Estate practices overall.
From large scale investment and regeneration to local housing, our thinking extends beyond the day-to-day delivery of transactional and advisory legal services - we provide our clients with fresh thinking and commercially driven solutions. Our multidisciplinary real estate team advises on investment and development across commercial, retail, residential and mixed-use real estate, with a strong inward investment practice.
Based in the firm's second biggest UK office, the Exeter Real Estate Team currently includes 47 fee earners. The team undertake a very wide range of property projects advising on large mixed use development schemes and regeneration projects. We provide our clients with fresh thinking and commercial driven solutions, working alongside colleagues in our planning and construction departments. The team has recently won 'Property Law Firm of the Year' at the Business Insider South West Property Awards 2021.
What you'll do:
As a Senior Associate you will work in the Real Estate, Investment and Development Practice, working closely with the Partners in assisting with the supervision and running of the team whilst engaged in work across a wide spectrum of property projects and advice, This will include work across investment acquisitions, disposal and asset management work; private residential and commercial development; crossover local authority and registered provider housing development, estate regeneration and joint venture projects.
The role will also include advising a varied set of clients across private and public sector focusing on investment, asset management, development and strategic land transactions. This will encompass due diligence on medium-sized and large investment and or development sites. You will be assisting with acquisition and sale documents for commercial, mixed use and residential-led schemes.
Real Estate projects will often be bank funded and this will involve working with our Corporate, Banking & Finance, Litigation and Projects & Construction teams.
- Involvement in all property aspects of development and regeneration schemes;
- Undertaking a mix of property work for developers, investors, social landlords, government bodies including the Department for Education on the free schools programme,, local authorities and private sector bodies including acquisitions of development sites for residential and mixed use schemes. asset management, joint venture projects and large scale accommodation projects;
- Portfolio sales and acquisitions;
- Advising on management agreements, grant agreements and other forms of commercial contracts;
- Providing assistance to partners on management and supervision of the wider team;
- Providing assistance on Real Estate finance work including preparing CLLS certificates of Title and managing conditions precedent
- Project management and working with other specialist teams on more complex matters;
- Comply with core competencies as appropriate to the fee earner level of qualification;
- Building and maintaining and where possible initiating effective client relationships;
- Active participation in and, where appropriate leading, marketing initiatives;
- Running own files;
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions.
What you'll need:
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at Senior Associate grade. In particular, for this role we require:
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application;
- Proven ability to take on responsibility, manage and progress matters independently where appropriate;
- Strong client focus and service delivery;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Commercial awareness;
- Flexibility and can do attitude;
- Aptitude for business development;
- Substantial client management experience;
- Proven track record and aptitude in origination/business development;
- Solid academic record;
- Qualified solicitor with 6+ PQE and proven expertise in real estate;
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.