Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Who We are
An opportunity has arisen for a paralegal to join our highly successful private wealth team in Exeter. The purpose of this role is to assist the Private Wealth Partners and Private Wealth team to provide a first class service to clients. Acting for individuals, companies and trusts both in the UK and internationally, we undertake all types of private client work including the preparation of Wills, Powers of Attorney, Domestic Trusts, probate and income and capital tax planning. Internationally, we advise on residence and domicile planning and structuring both inbound and outbound.
What you'll do
The successful recruit will be expected to assist the Private Wealth team in the following areas:
• Probate administration including correspondence with institutions;
• Payment of liabilities and legacies;
• Dealing with receipt of funds;
• Preparation of powers of attorney;
• Assisting with attorney administration and trust administration matters
• Filing of documents, correspondence and other documentation;
• File opening, archiving and billing
• Scheduling and compiling bibles of documents;
• Attending clients to sign documents including wills;
• Liaising and maintaining effective client relationships;
• Pro-active participation in marketing initiatives; and
• Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures.
What you'll need:
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the paralegal grade. In particular for this role, we require:
• Strong client focus and service delivery;
• Drive and enthusiasm;
• Ability to prioritise work effectively and meet deadlines;
• Good communication skills both oral and written;
• A strong team player with an ability to work collaboratively with colleagues at all levels;
• A positive and proactive attitude;
• Flexibility and commitment;
• A willingness to learn;
• Flexible and willing to go the extra mile;
• Strong attention to detail with a methodical and logical approach;
• Common sense.
• Good academics;
• Previous experience of private client matters is desirable as a paralegal or legal secretary;
• We would consider an entry level paralegal with a willingness to develop general Private Wealth knowledge;
• Previous experience in dealing directly with clients is also preferable.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.