Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
The Business Intake Manager is responsible for the day to day management of the Business Intake Team and for overseeing all new business into the firm, ensuring relevant legal and regulatory requirements are met, as well as the firm's own defined risk appetite, managing the central Business Intake Team and assisting the Head of Risk and General Counsel in dealing with complex AML, Sanctions and Conflict of Interest enquiries.. They will be the central point of escalation for any linked queries, including conflicts, AML and sanction issues. They will draft and maintain relevant policies, procedures and handbooks and provide comprehensive firm wide training, where required.
What you'll be doing
- Manage and co-ordinate on all AML, CDD and sanctions issues.
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of the Business Intake Team.
- Responsible for the career development and training of the AML and Conflicts Analysts.
- Escalate issues and provide practical support to the General Counsel/COLP/MLRO and Head of Risk.
- Act as the subject matter expert for AML and conflict compliance and corresponding regulations for the overseas jurisdictions which we operate in.
- In-depth understanding of the Money Laundering Regulations 2017, the Proceeds of Crime Act and the SRA Standards and Regulations (as applicable) and relevant case law.
- Draft, promote and implement compliance with policy procedures and best practice
- Assist with sanction issues.
- Provide relevant training on AML, conflicts, sanctions and updated policies and procedures to the Firm and to the Business Intake Team.
- Draft policies and manuals to ensure compliance with the Firm's AML, sanctions and conflicts policies.
- Manage and monitor the SLAs of the Business Intake Team.
- Help the Firm assess and enhance its financial crime systems and controls
- Identify potential risk considerations for opening new clients and matters, with special regard to AML and KYC
- Ensure the business intake processes are as effective and efficient as they can be.
- Undertake detailed analysis of potential conflict issues and advise fee earners
- Oversee the implementation and maintenance of information barriers.
- Assist with the implementation central client and matter opening project.
What you'll need
- Solid, proven management/supervisory experience of a team.
- Experience of dealing with Middle East AML requirements is preferred/highly desirable
- Ability to build trusted relationships with the key stakeholders within the business at all levels
- Fully conversant with duties under relevant laws and regulations.
- Familiar with UK ethics and risk management requirements generally
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Excellent commercial judgement
- Able to produce clear, accurate and practical policy, precedents and guidance
- The highest standard of professional ethics
- Confident, approachable and a team player
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.