Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Who we are
Construction is central to our business. Our award-winning construction practice is, justifiably, one of the leaders in the construction legal field; equally comfortable acting on landmark national infrastructure projects or complex regeneration deals and our work takes us across the globe, wherever our clients are active.
Our national offering is a 'life span' service for all contentious and non -contentious construction/engineering related matters, from initial structuring, procurement advice, setting up contracts, appointments, joint ventures and development agreements with backup specialists in employment, energy, property and tax. Our contentious work includes active project management assistance during the life of ongoing projects in order to 'trouble shoot' problems before they become formal disputes; and resolving disputes either through adjudication, litigation, arbitration or ADR in the event that formal proceedings are unavoidable.
We are integrated with our colleagues in real estate, tax and planning. The team combines legal excellence, commercial acumen and an impressive track record together with a deep understanding of the construction industry. A significant number of our team are ranked as experts and leading practitioners in their field by Chambers UK and the Legal 500.
Where you'll work
Our specialist construction lawyers in Birmingham provide top quality advice to an enviable client base, across the full range of contentions and non-contentious matters. Our clients are developers, contractors, Registered Providers and public sector bodies. We work closely with our colleagues in our other UK offices in order to ensure that we meet the needs of our clients, and the size of our national construction team stands comparison with any other UK law firm and enables us to advise on a range of major projects nationwide. That said, we remain fiercely committed to our region, and are justifiably proud of the work that we do on some of the most exciting and high profile projects in the Midlands. We are looking for high quality construction lawyers who have a passion for and a pride in the Midlands, who share our ambition and want to be part of our continued success story both nationally and locally. We have a position for an Associate (3-5PQE) to join our Construction practice as part of the Birmingham team.
You can expect to be involved in both non-contentious and contentious construction work and if you have a particular bias we are able to accommodate this so you are playing to your key strengths. A few examples of the work our Birmingham team are currently engaged in are;
- Advising on infrastructure projects connected to the Birmingham Commonwealth Games
- Acting for a number of national PLC housebuilders in relation to the procurement and development of major housing development projects and associated infrastructure developments and disputes relating to those developments
- Advising on matters connected to the HS2 development, including in relation to the construction of a major new midlands interchange station and associated infrastructure and developments
- Providing assistance to various parties in connection with façade fire safety issues in high rise buildings; including advising on potential claims, and assisting with accessing funding for and the procurement of essential remedial works
- Acting for a number of Midlands based developers and contractors who are driving change and improvement locally, and through this we are proud to play our part in the evolution and development of Birmingham and the Midlands
What you'll be doing
- Advising clients including regional and national contractors and developers, local and central government departments, registered providers operating in the commercial / private and public sectors.
- Contentious advice on adjudications and litigation for public and private sector clients.
- Providing construction related procurement advice to public sector clients.
- Advising on all aspects of development through design and construction.
- Advising on asset management contracts and maintenance contracts.
- Advising on health sector development projects including new hospitals
- Advising a wide range of publicly funded housing organisations on development schemes and asset management arrangements.
- Providing construction due diligence support to the real estate, corporate and banking teams on acquisitions and disposals.
- Building and maintaining effective client relationships.
- Active participation in marketing initiatives.
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the Associate grade. In particular for this role we require:
- Proven ability to take on responsibility and manage files, independently where appropriate;
- Excellent technical skills;
- Strong client focus and service delivery;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Commercial awareness;
- Methodical, disciplined and organised approach;
- Excellent communication skills;
- A strong team player;
- Excellent academic record.
- Qualified solicitor (3-5 years' PQE)
- A solid understanding of the construction sector.
Mark Robinson, Projects and Construction, Partner
Paul Scott, Construction Litigation, Partner
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.