Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Working in our main reception area you will be the face of our Exeter office. Often you will be the first contact our clients have had with the Firm either in person or over the phone. You will be meeting and greeting internal and external clients ensuring they all receive a warm welcome and leave with the best impression of Trowers & Hamlins. In addition, you will work with our Team Assistants providing administrative support to Partners, fee earners and PAs.
What you'll be doing
Team Assistant responsibilities:
- Working as an integral part of the fee earner support team
- Filing and file management, including file opening and closing
- Assisting at internal and external seminars
- Producing and engrossing documents
- Scheduling and compiling bibles of documents
- Obtaining official copy documents from various local authorities and other third party search providers
- Using Land Registry Portal and TM Group (online searches services)
- Administering NHBC applications
- Filing of deeds, documents, correspondence and other documentation
- Maintaining filing and document management systems
- Assisting with the administration of file archiving and retrieval service
- Scanning, photocopying, printing and filing
- Ad hoc administrative duties where required
- Provide support and cover for administrative staff and assist other departments as required
- Answering all incoming telephone calls and redirecting to the appropriate partner or employee
- Taking accurate, clear telephone messages and passing on to the relevant person in a timely fashion
- Responsibility for keeping an accurate record of meeting room bookings
- Ensuring that the necessary catering and presentational facilities are provided for each room booking
- Ensuring that the meeting room(s) are cleared after use, including tidying the client kitchen facility as required
- Responsible for setting up telephone and video conference calls
- Maintaining the Reception area to ensure that it is always smart, professional looking and tidy
- Assisting with preparation for and running of marketing events at the office, which may require working out of hours from time to time
Our operational staff will receive training as a first aider and fire warden.
This list of duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and may be subject to change depending on the needs of the business.
What you'll need
- Strong attention to details with a methodical and logical approach
- Common sense
- Strong customer focus
- Good humour
- Polite with a calm and professional manner
- A positive and proactive attitude
- Flexibility and commitment
- An ability to operate autonomously and/or with minimum supervision
- Drive and enthusiasm
- A willingness to learn
- A self-starter
- Exceptional client service skills
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Ability to use initiative
- Minimum 12 months' experience
- Good computer skills (including Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel)
- Previous office and reception experience (desired)
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.