Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area - Ashurst Advance Digital
Role: Senior Legal Technologist
Location: UK Flexible (travel to London/Glasgow may be required)
Reporting to: Digital Services Manager
We are seeking an experienced and motivated individual to join our award-winning digital services team as a senior legal technologist. In this role you will be responsible for designing, implementing and supporting technology-based services for our internal and external clients, liaising directly with project and matter stakeholders, creating and maintaining consistent application of our technical standards and quality control processes, and managing and mentoring junior legal technologists and analysts. The senior legal technologist must be have an expert level of hands-on experience working in the standard law firm tech stack, with an emphasis on contract automation, and able to ideate and develop new implementations of the tech stack to solve new problems. You will be critical to delivering digital transformation within Ashurst.
- Automating legal documents, tasks and processes using the Ashurst Advance Digital technology "toolkit".
- Using low-code and no-code tools to design, configure and/or develop prototypes and proof-of-concepts and final build of digital service solutions and other online interfaces.
- Creating and maintaining technical quality control standards and technical checking processes for all work produced by the digital services team.
- Carrying out technical checking processes on work product produced by junior technologists and analysts.
- Developing and cultivating relationships with stakeholders to educate and raise awareness of our digital service offerings and the value they create, as well as to enable us to identify new areas of opportunity to leverage our digital capability to support client needs.
- Assisting with the scoping and pricing of digital services work, and contributing to pitch documentation and presentations.
- Assisting with team reporting and financial management.
- Leading team, firm and client training sessions.
- Liaising with technology vendors, organising technology demos, and assisting with the design and implementation of trials, pilots and proof-of-concepts for new procurement proposals.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Leadership skills: Is a role model exhibiting the firms values and commitment to diversity and inclusion. Supervises and coaches others as appropriate to assist with the development of other team members.
- Communication Skills: Communicates clearly and effectively, demonstrates ability to adapt to different client styles and behaviours. Can clearly understand instructions and is not afraid to ask for clarity or challenge instructions where appropriate.
- Technologist Skills: Deep technical expertise in the Contract Express automation platform including repeats, computations and look up tables editor. Administrator skill level in respect of the remainder of Ashurst Advance Digital's technology "toolkit", including AI-powered document review, e-signature, collaboration platform management, data room management and expertise automation. Capable of resolving queries and challenges raised by any team member.
- Personal Skills: Meticulous attention to detail, consistently works at a very high standard without supervision. A problem-solver and people-pleaser by nature. Shows resilience and ability to develop from constructive feedback.
Desired skills and experience
- Excellent understanding of and interest in evolving areas of technology such as automation, artificial intelligence, cloud computing, big data, and data visualisation.
- Passionate about legal transformation, supporting the LawTech ecosystem and contributing to change within the legal industry.
- Flexible, willing to adapt your approach to the audience and circumstances, and able to harness ambiguity to shape new opportunities and approaches.
- Experience in front-end or middleware development a big plus.