We are currently recruiting for a Senior IT Business Relationship Manager (SBRM) to join our London office. This role provides a strong link between IT and the legal practice areas and business support departments. The SBRM understands and feeds into the IT strategy, the strategy and the working practices of their customers. They are accountable for ensuring that they derive the maximum benefit from the IT department and its technology. The role encompasses IT communications, IT strategy, IT projects and IT processes. It supports business change as part of the execution of new or improved working practices, increasing and championing tech adoption across the firm.
The role contributes to the management forums in the supported departments and plays a business facing role supporting the IT leadership team in their interaction with key stakeholders. Importantly, this role will also be expected to fully support and drive change within the Business Relationship Management team around continuous improvement to the role clarity and focus.
Role and responsibilities
The SBRM is responsible for:
- Working together with partners, fee earners and support staff (sometimes including their clients) to identify opportunities for providing better services to clients, and increased revenue earning opportunities for A&O. Working with IT to develop products and services to realise these opportunities;
- Acting as a sounding board for senior stakeholders to discuss opportunities for service improvements;
- Remaining constantly aware of A&O’s business strategy and strategic drivers, specifically the relevant practice/support department requirements, and supporting the global IT function in the delivery of these;
- Keeping IT staff aware of the drivers and requirements of the business;
- Continuously assessing and reviewing the use of IT services within the practice areas/departments/offices, identifying any shortfalls and/or opportunities for improvement and potential need for new services;
- Facilitating the delivery of training programmes to encourage more productive use of products and services;
- Agreeing with IT the delivery of these improved or new services and actively supporting their effective introduction;
- Working closely with IT London and IT Service Management and following their defined processes to resolve any persistent and/or significant problems being experienced with IT services;
- Working closely with Programmes & Projects Delivery (PPD) and following their defined processes to support the initiation of new work requests, IT Board proposals, benefits reviews, etc.;
- Acting as a Senior Supplier for the delivery of projects and take an active and role in project governance;
- Understanding A&O's advanced delivery strategy and service offering and supporting the ADPLs in promoting it to our customer base;
- Providing support on global initiatives as required and keeping touch with regional IT peers;
- Maintaining a broad awareness of current technology & business trends, products and services;
- Organising and facilitating technology related workshops and other events for internal and client audiences;
- Accepting responsibility, as part of the Duty RM rotas, as the point of escalation for major incidents and executive/managerial decisions on behalf of IT.
- Collaborative team player
- Experience of organising and facilitating workshops or similar events
- Formal communication and presentation experience
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and influencing skills - with partners, key associates, senior support staff and IT colleagues, including a willingness to probe and ask questions in order to learn more about the partnership and its individual departments;
- Experience in selling concepts and presenting up to head level
- A proactive approach, creativity, tenacity and energy.
- High attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Politically astute – can make tough decisions and follow through; anticipates future areas of risk for the practice and takes appropriate action to address these.
- Strong business network and evidence of motivation and ability to build and grow network
- High level of personal credibility, impact and influence with proven ability to work effectively and persuasively at senior levels
- Substantial relevant experience within a professional services organisation or in the sector, where the individual frequently worked with senior management.
- Deep understanding of how a transactional lawyer operates on a day-to-day basis
- Business awareness and commercial acumen including a practical understanding of law firm economics and the levers of matter profitability
- Proven skills/experience in taking ownership/responsibility for customers projects and driving these projects forward;
- A proactive “self-starter” with a proven ability to seek out work and opportunities for business engagement;
- Maintain a broad knowledge of IT, legaltech, a knack for explaining technology in understandable/"layman" terms, and demonstrate a particular interest in technology, including how it can be applied to realise business opportunities;
- Highly developed personal and team organisational skills;
- Proven skills in managing and completing small to large tasks, including the demonstration of a structured approach in the provision of stakeholder engagement.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. INDSJ
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned our reputation as a firm that leads the industry and opens up new possibilities in law. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. We are defined by our consistent commitment to creating a collaborative and supportive working culture and investing in your progress. We’re committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional ambitions. Joining our global team, you’ll discover what collaborating on a global scale really looks like; you’ll learn how to help drive change; and you’ll be at the heart of an organisation that’s defining the future of law. If you’re ready to find a place to thrive: It’s Time.