We are currently recruiting for a Global Head of BD (Advanced Delivery and Solutions) to join our Marketing department on a permanent basis.
The business development, marketing and communications team is integral to the setting and achievement of the firm’s global client strategy, which includes guiding the partners and associates in their pursuit of becoming our clients’ trusted advisers, building and maintaining long-lasting, deep institutional client relationships, winning new clients, increasing the visibility of the firm globally, and positioning the firm as the thought leader and most advanced law firm among the global elite law firms. The function works as one team across the globe with very close collaboration between the central groups, such as communications, and the professionals working in local offices, practice groups, sectors and clients.
Role context and purpose
Senior management position reporting into the CMO and the Managing Partner for Advanced Delivery & Solutions (AD&S).
Responsible for working with the CMO and AD&S to proactively develop and deliver a marketing strategy that improves business performance through enhanced external and internal profile, improved engagement with the firm’s prioritised clients and more sophisticated approaches to targeting and winning new business. Ultimately responsible for delivering a market-leading set of marketing, business development and communications activities throughout the year that add significant benefit to the business.
Manage the AD&S marketing and business development team proactively, to ensure that it is always fit for purpose, driving continuous improvement in department’s approach to the entire marketing mix. In addition, act as internal consultant to AD&S leaders on individual business development plans, providing coaching or access to training, where required.
Play a key role in the CMO’s leadership team, ensuring the function is delivering best-in-class marketing activities and is operating optimally, at all times.
AD&S Leadership Team including Managing Partner, Heads of AD&S businesses, AD&S COO
Marketing leadership team
AD&S Marketing Team
AD&S Practice Leads
Role and responsibilities
- Proactively develop a global AD&S marketing plan and obtain buy-in from AD&S Leadership as to what is contained. Plan must be approved by the CMO and be kept as fit for purpose at all times.
- This plan will include:
- Market and competitor research and analysis
- Brand-enhancing thought-leadership campaigns to demonstrate product and market insight in support of the firm’s overall brand strategy
- New business generation plans for identified AD&S-led solutions/markets
- A programme of activities and supporting assets to ensure AD&S in included within and making a difference and increasing proportion of firm-led opportunities.
- A client development programme, tightly integrated into the firm’s client strategy.
Data should underpin all marketing and BD activity to ensure that activities are directed appropriately and that precise measurement of outcomes is established – the data being used should be constantly reviewed and ensured that it is fit for purpose.
- Work proactively with AD&S Leadership to articulate the strategic direction of the department as well as core messages/value propositions. Develop internal communications priorities to drive increased understanding of AD&S offerings and benefits across the firm within key target audiences, e.g. relationship partners. Additionally, use internal communication channels effectively to create a culture where business development/marketing/client relationship management activity is seen as a priority for all within AD&S.
- Manage the AD&S Management BD budget, ensuring that all marketing, business development and communications activities are delivered in the most cost effective manner and within budget.
- Act as an internal consultant to AD&S leaders on marketing, communications and business development issues. This will require the development of strong personal relationships with AD&S teams across the globe to facilitate the delivery of global projects.
- Develop strong relationships with the rest of the marketing function to play a key role in the CMO’s leadership team. Ensure that central marketing expertise is accessed effectively for the benefit of AD&S and that the department’s business objectives/priorities are communicated back to the central marketing team to guide their area of focus.
- Provide strategic direction to the AD&S BD team, as well as day-to-day management and development responsibility, ensuring that the team is always operating as required and that working practices are best-in-class, align with firmwide approaches and inform a data-led approach.
- Meet with clients regularly, whether formally as part of client relationship management, specific business development campaigns or informally at firm events. Use this interaction to improve the firm’s relationship with the client, to identify opportunities and to improve the firm’s marketing.
- Identify the need for and contribute to training and development for AD&S teams in marketing and BD skills.
- Keep current on all commercial and legal issues affecting the AD&S department, being able to liaise with practice teams to identify AD&S opportunities and to drive an ever-improving marketing mix.
- Senior marketing professional, with a strong marketing and business development background.
- Substantial relevant business development and marketing experience, likely to be within a professional or financial services organisation, notably marketing to a business audience and where the individual frequently worked directly with senior management. Previous technology or consulting marketing experience would be desirable.
- Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the global AD&S department (in terms of the solutions, the key players, the competition and the technologies and approaches involved in this area).
- Excellent communication skills - both written and oral. Experience in selling concepts and presenting up to senior executive/Board Level.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills - with partners/senior professionals, business development colleagues, clients and suppliers. This role is not about 'power'. It is suited to people who can, and like, achieving results through influence.
- Politically astute – can make tough decisions and follow through; anticipates future areas of risk for the practice and takes appropriate action to address these.
- Ability to motivate, develop and inspire both BD and AD&S teams to deliver business goals and change behaviour where required. A self-starter, with the enthusiasm to be as proactive as possible at all times.
- Experience of managing and developing the careers of (senior) managers, executives and assistants.
- A proactive approach, creativity and tenacity.
- High attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Professional in outlook and attitude.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned our reputation as a firm that leads the industry and opens up new possibilities in law. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. We are defined by our consistent commitment to creating a collaborative and supportive working culture and investing in your progress. We’re committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional ambitions. Joining our global team, you’ll discover what collaborating on a global scale really looks like; you’ll learn how to help drive change; and you’ll be at the heart of an organisation that’s defining the future of law. If you’re ready to find a place to thrive: It’s Time.