We are currently recruiting for a Service Automation & Operations Engineer to join our IT team in the London office on a 24 month contract. Service Automation & Operations will be at the heart of Technology Services. You will be part of a team that will transform how our IT services are operated, monitored, provisioned and tested. Using software engineering to automate wherever possible, you will enable our IT support teams across the globe to provide world class support to our business. Helping to define the Service Level Agreements (SLAs) that the services need to be tested and monitored against, building the monitoring, testing and provisioning of those services within your team. You will also be at the centre of transitioning services into operation. You will be part of a team of software engineers and report to the Service Automation & Operations Manager.
Role and responsibilities
Develop the monitoring, operating and provisioning solutions for technology services used by the firm:
- Work with IT Process and 3rd line support teams to define SLAs on new and existing services.
- Work with Testing Manager to define test cases against the SLAs.
- Work with Global Service Desk and 3rd line support teams to define provisioning requirements.
- Build the monitoring of services based on defined SLAs, through use of commercial off-the-shelf software and in-house developed solutions.
- Build automated recovery of services, integrate with IT Service Management (ITSM) platform to automatically raise incident tickets.
Automate the provisioning of IT services through orchestration and integration with the ITSM platform. This will include, but is not limited to:
- One-touch/self-service requests for business users.
- Automated user administration (moves/add/changes).
- Self-service infrastructure provisioning for software engineers.
Drive continuous improvement across all of Technology Services. Participate in and support cross technology process improvement initiatives.
Deliver solutions in line with established guidelines and adhering to deployment, testing and documentation standards established by Technology Services.
- High level of personal credibility, impact and influence with proven ability to work effectively and persuasively at all levels of the business.
- Highly motivated self-starter, who will undertake all activities to the highest professional standards.
- Strong commitment to excellent customer service.
- Ability to communicate both on technical and business levels.
- Excellent all-round technology knowledge and practical experience of the majority of technologies within the software engineering discipline.
- Technical knowledge and practical experience of the design, operation and maintenance of IT applications, services and infrastructure with specific skills in:
- Software design and development principles.
- Cloud computing services and platforms (e.g. Azure, AWS).
- SQL and solid understanding of other data platforms (e.g. MongoDB, Elastic Stack).
- Web service architectures (e.g. SOAP, REST).
- Containerisation technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes).
- Web application and Web service configuration on Windows and Linux platforms.
- Identity and Access Management.
- Hands on knowledge of Full Stack Monitoring Tools (e.g. Elastic, Splunk, App Dynamics, New Relic) – Preferably Elastic Stack.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft and Linux server platforms.
- Experience of integrating with ITSM platforms for automation, orchestration and provisioning pipelines.
- Good knowledge of secure software development practices and where to find guidance and best practice.
- Knowledge of ITIL, specifically the Service Operations library.
- Working within Agile teams, and building a DevOps culture.
- Experience of IT service and operations, and providing software solutions for these functions.
- Experience of designing and implementing applications for web, windows, mobile platforms and data integration solutions such as SOAP and REST-ful web services.
- Ability to create comprehensive technical documents including support transition guides, operational manuals, infrastructure diagrams and project specific documentation.
- Ability to provide accurate estimations using story sizing.
- Experience working in a global environment across international locations with an appreciation of multiple cultures.
- Experience of building applications in .Net / .Net Core is desirable but not essential.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned our reputation as a firm that leads the industry and opens up new possibilities in law. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. We are defined by our consistent commitment to creating a collaborative and supportive working culture and investing in your progress. We’re committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional ambitions. Joining our global team, you’ll discover what collaborating on a global scale really looks like; you’ll learn how to help drive change; and you’ll be at the heart of an organisation that’s defining the future of law. If you’re ready to find a place to thrive: It’s Time.