Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Who we are
We are a global law firm that continues to grow in size, reputation and expertise across our UK offices. As a result we are looking to recruit a Solicitor at 3-8 PQE into our commercial team sitting in the Birmingham office.
The Corporate/Commercial department offers our clients access to a full range of corporate and commercial legal services. The commercial team advises on a range of commercial matters for start-ups, scale-ups and SMEs and a range of public sector clients including standard terms and conditions, outsourcing arrangements and IT/data issues. The team also further supports public sector clients on commercial issues including PFI variations, teckal companies and commercialisation, vires, public law and procurement.
Working as part of a high-performing national and growing regional team, the new recruit will advise clients operating in a variety of sectors on a diverse range of commercial matters.
The Corporate/Commercial department is supported by specialists in our other departments, including banking, tax, employment and intellectual property.
What you'll be doing
- Advising on a range of commercial agreements;
- An understanding of GDPR, EU procurement and public law helpful;
- Advising on outsourcing arrangements;
- Confident in drafting a range of commercial documents and able to advise on key areas of risk dependent on sector area of client;
- Advising on joint venture agreements in both the private and public sector;
- Supporting General Counsel on business critical projects in designated timeframes
- Advising on ad hoc day-to-day commercial queries from our corporate/public sector clients;
- Initiating, building and maintaining effective client relationships;
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
- Pro-active participation in department and firm-wide marketing initiatives;
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at these grades. In particular, for this role we require:
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application;
- Proven ability to take on responsibility, manage and progress matters independently where appropriate;
- Strong client focus and service delivery;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Commercial awareness;
- Aptitude for and proven business development experience;
- Substantial client management experience;
- Ability to work to deadlines;
- Methodical, disciplined and organised;
- Team player;
- Excellent communication skills with a collaborative approach.
- Qualified solicitor with 3- 8 years' PQE in advising a broad diet of corporate commercial matters
- Ability to manage files independently
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.