Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Who we are
Trowers & Hamlins is a top 40 UK law firm with turnover of in excess of £100m. Employment and Pensions is a key focus of our business across all of our UK offices. We are experts in private and public sector employment law and have the breadth and depth of employment, pensions and immigration law expertise. Our clients are varied across corporate businesses and charities and third sector, but they all benefit from our diverse public and private sector experience, specialist technical expertise and sector knowledge. The Employment team is ranked in Tier One of Chambers for 'Not for Profit' Employment work and most notably were awarded Employment Law Firm of the Year at the Personnel Today Awards 2020.
Where you'll work
We have an established Employment practice nationally and in order to ensure we are fully able to resource the growing number of work opportunities arising we are seeking to appoint an NQ Solicitor to be based in our Birmingham office.
What you'll be doing
This is an exciting opportunity for a newly qualified Employment solicitor to join the team. The solicitor role will support on a range of Employment law work varying in scale and complexity. Specifically, it will involve supporting in fee-earning, client relationship management and marketing capacities.
- Providing general employment advice;
- Drafting employment contracts, policies, disciplinary and grievance procedures;
- Assisting with and running claims in the ET;
- Assisting in transactional work;
- Assisting with data subject access requests;
- Participating in marketing activities such as writing bulletins/articles, preparation and presenting at seminars and client events, networking and public speaking;
- Developing an understanding of clients' businesses and keeping abreast of developments;
- Building and maintaining effective client relationships;
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel and departmental procedures;
- Participation in firm-wide and departmental training sessions.
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the Solicitor grade. In particular for this role, we require:
- Newly qualified solicitor level, ideally having undertaken a training contract seat in employment law;
- Genuine interest in employment law;
- Ability to prioritise work effectively and meet deadlines;
- Excellent technical skills,
- Strong client focus,
- Drive and enthusiasm,
- Commercial awareness,
- Strong team player;
- Ability to use initiative;
- Positive and proactive approach;
- Flexibility and commitment.
- Excellent academic record;
- Flair for drafting would be desirable;
- Interest in marketing and;
- A self-starter.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.