Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work:
We are real estate finance specialists, but we're different from other regional banking practices. We punch well above our weight in our chosen markets. You can expect both City quality real estate finance work and to be part of a market-leading practice in social housing finance. But what really sets this opportunity apart is the truly varied blend of quality work on offer, all within a friendly and supportive environment. We aim to achieve creative, practical financing solutions and to get the deal done.
Effective financing arrangements are an essential foundation for any successful enterprise. Our lawyers have a thorough understanding of the sectors in which we specialise. This comes from many years of experience and from working closely with clients and colleagues from different legal disciplines. We do not just work in a banking and finance or real estate "box" but take a broader view of a client's business and objectives. Whether acting for borrowers or funders, we aim to play our part in placing the customer's financing on a firm footing and provide the foundations for future success and a strong working relationship between borrower and funders.
We specialise in all aspects of real estate finance, whether this is structured Islamically or conventionally. We focus on inward investment, real estate investment and development finance, housing and project finance. We work together as a collaborative national team. Though you will be based in Manchester, you will be regularly working with colleagues and clients based across our UK and international offices.
In particular this role is to support our Partners, Solicitors and Trainees on a range of transactional work varying in scale and complexity.
What you'll be doing:
- Majoring on real estate finance but handling a range of banking and finance matters of varying sizes and complexity, spanning development finance, real estate investment finance, inward investment deals, Islamic finance, housing finance, project finance and corporate loans
- Initiating, building and maintaining effective client relationships
- Pro-active involvement in marketing initiatives
- Training and development of junior legal staff and support staff
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions
What you'll need:
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of colleagues at every level. In particular for this role we require:
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application
- Commercial awareness and credibility
- Client relationship management experience
- Flexibility, positivity and collegiality
- Drive and enthusiasm, grit
- Flair for / proven involvement in business development
- Demonstrable interest in banking & finance and the sectors in which we operate
- Strong client focus
- Good team player
- Excellent academic record
- Qualified solicitor, likely to be 2-5 years PQE with proven post-qualification experience of advising on a broad range of Banking and Finance matters
- Prior real estate finance experience
- Ability to manage files independently
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.