Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
As a key member of the firm's Communications & Strategy function within the firm's Business Operations team, the Communications Assistant will support on the delivery and communications of firm wide strategic projects and day-to-day operational activities across the firm's offices in the UK and internationally. The role reports into the Head of Communications & Strategy and works alongside the Communications & Strategy Assistant. The role holder will also work closely with our PR and Marketing team, our D&I Manager as well as other business support teams across the business.
What you'll be doing
- Supporting the Head of Communications & Strategy on all internal communications across the firm to include: drafting communications to support engagement with firmwide initiatives such as our D&I strategy, our transition to net-zero and the refresh of our firmwide values; preparing presentations for the bi-monthly Senior Partner Business Briefings; preparing presentations for the bi-monthly real estate department update; sourcing and drafting news and stories for Trowers' internal newsletter; running internal webinars on initiatives; updating the firm's intranet; drafting the firm's alumni newsletter; and supporting the other business functions with firmwide internal communications.
- Involvement in the delivery of firm wide strategic projects and initiatives such as the firm's sustainability strategy and its core values project. Tasks could include drafting engagement communications and project updates; diarising meetings; minute taking; preparing presentations; and desk research.
- Supporting the firm wide business planning process. Tasks could include: updating templates; competitor and sector desk research; filing documentation; and creating a system of reminders to help the senior management team track and analyse progress.
- Gather information from the team for inclusion in our monthly Operations Board and Executive reports.
- Administrative support for the preparation of agendas for and delivery of internal events, conferences, Board away days etc.
- General support to the Business Operations function.
What you'll need
- Some previous business experience, ideally in a professional services environment. Communications or PR experience would be of particular interest.
- This role may suit a career minded, ambitious person, from any background, seeking an opportunity to develop their business skills.
- Gravitas with ability to build relationships and influence.
- Commercial acumen and excellent client service (internal and external).
- Ability to manage sensitive situations with diplomacy and confidence.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Self-motivated, with a positive, pro-active and enthusiastic approach to work.
- Shows a commitment to exceed expectations.
- An excellent communicator, both verbal and in writing.
- High level organisational and planning skills.
- Innovative and creative with the confidence to generate and promote new ideas.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.