Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 160 partners and 950 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Asia, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
Real Estate is a key focus of our business. From investment and management of existing assets to major development and regeneration schemes, about 60% of our lawyers practice full-time in the sector across a wide range of disciplines including investment, finance, development, construction, asset management, planning, environmental and dispute resolution. We are ranked by The Lawyer as having one of the UK's Top 15 Real Estate practices overall.
From large scale investment and regeneration to local housing, our thinking extends beyond the day to day delivery of transactional and advisory legal services - we provide our clients with fresh thinking and commercially driven solutions. Our multidisciplinary real estate team advises on investment and development across commercial, retail, residential and mixed use real estate, with a strong inward investment practice.
The Real Estate Investment & Development team acts for London and UK-based clients investing and/or operating domestically in high value investment and development projects across all property asset classes. It is also involved in transactions involving inbound flow of real estate capital from foreign investors into the UK (predominantly acting for Middle Eastern and Far East clients). As a result, many of the deals carried out by the team are typically high-end, multi-disciplinary, structured/leveraged real estate deals involving the acquisition or disposal of high value assets, or corporate SPVs. The team are involved in:
- Investment acquisitions and disposals for UK investors including pension funds and property companies, overseas pension funds and other investors, including high net worth individuals;
- Commercial and residential development, including site assembly, development and disposal for private and public sector developers and housebuilders;
- Asset management work for a variety of clients from pension funds to local authorities;
- Occupier advisory work for private companies, charities and Registered Providers;
- Working with other teams within the firm on large scale projects for M&A work and commercial real estate refinancing.
What you'll be doing
- Advising institutional investors and social landlords on investments in the affordable housing sector, private rented sector and other alternative asset classes;
- Involvement in property aspects of large regeneration schemes;
- Advising and undertaking acquisitions of development sites for residential and mixed use schemes for social landlords and private developers;
- Portfolio sales and acquisitions for institutional investors and social landlords;
- Advising lenders and borrowers on the property and security aspects of residential development and infrastructure finance and working closely alongside colleagues from the Banking and Finance department;
- Undertaking a mix of property work for social landlords and private developers, including acquisitions, disposals and joint ventures;
- Legal research;
- Running own files;
- Comply with attached core competencies as appropriate to the fee earner level of qualification;
- Building and maintaining effective client relationships;
- Active participation in marketing initiatives;
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions;
- Training and development of junior legal staff and secretary (where appropriate).
What you'll need:
The firm operates a Career Development Framework, a merit based and clearly defined career structure which sets out the competencies we expect of those at this grade and beyond. In particular, for this role we require:
- Newly qualified solicitor who has completed a seat in Real Estate
- Proven ability to take on responsibility and manage files, independently where appropriate;
- Strong client focus and a commitment to service delivery;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Commercial awareness;
- Flexibility and can-do attitude.
- Excellent academic record; and
- Good team player.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.