Who we are
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We advise across the spectrum of legal matters including high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions, contentious matters and all aspects of risk. We deliver innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, domestically and internationally. We provide clear legal advice that spans the globe whilst tackling the cultural nuances between jurisdictions. Our lawyers understand how to coordinate and manage matters in the jurisdictions most relevant to our clients.
We are now offering the opportunity to become part of our dynamic team, which supports our lawyers in providing first-class legal advice to some of the most prestigious and well-known global businesses.
At Slaughter and May, with over 1,200 partners and staff worldwide, everyone's contribution is valued, and we all enjoy an open, friendly and supportive environment. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader.
To support our employees in achieving their professional development objectives, we offer an unrivalled variety of learning and development opportunities to everyone, as well as a highly competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. The firm has also evolved a new hybrid approach to working (the “Ways of Working Framework”), which sees our people working between their home environments and our prestigious Headquarters at One Bunhill Row, in the heart of the City of London.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for a professional, engaging individual to join our London-based Learning and Development team as Learning and Development Assistant, to assist them with ensuring excellence is being delivered to the business.
We are recruiting a Learning and Development Assistant to work within the Learning and Development (L&D) team, which comprises the Head of L&D, two Senior Managers, four Managers, one Operations Specialist, one Adviser, one Executive and one Administrator. The team forms part of the wider HR department based in the firm’s London office.
The L&D team works on a broad range of learning initiatives across the firm. From legal to skills training, we look after the development needs of lawyers, members of Business Services and clients. We are highly regarded within the firm for our solutions-focussed approach and attention to detail.
This is an exciting opportunity for a proactive and confident individual to work in a fast-paced Learning and Development (L&D) team. This varied role involves coordinating legal and business skills training, along with other members of the team. The job will involve contact with the firm’s partners, lawyers and members of Business Services as well as a key role in various ongoing team projects. The individual must have strong administrative skills and be proactive in managing a varied workload.
Key responsibilities are set out below – there may be others that are not listed.
- Coordinate the administrative aspects of the flagship leadership programmes for Business Services as well as Open Skills sessions skills for Business Services, Practice Support Mangers and Executive Assistants. This includes: scheduling dates and booking rooms/facilities; liaising with speakers; preparing materials (often under time pressure); providing on-the-ground support; and taking charge of feedback.
- Provide training hour reports for each Business Services Director.
- Coordinate content for the firm’s Client Portal.
- Be one of the L&D team’s experts in the use of the firm’s Learning and Performance Management system (LeaP).
- Maintain L&D Business Services intranet pages; ensuring they are relevant and up to date.
- Monitor and update relevant areas of the L&D team’s budget.
- Build solid relationships within the firm, including with lawyers (at all levels of seniority) and across other Business Services teams such as HR Advisory and Responsible Business to help promote the L&D team in its advisory role to the business.
- Assist the L&D team with the administration of any other training or development opportunities as they arise.
The L&D Assistant will report into the L&D Adviser, but will be expected to work with the entire team to provide excellent client service.
This role will require some flexible working outside of our normal working hours of 9:30 am to 5:30 pm to accommodate training commitments.
Candidates for this position must have:
- Degree-educated and/or at least 1 year working within a corporate/L&D environment with a strong interest in L&D.
- A confident, proactive and solutions-focussed individual prepared to use their initiative in managing their workload.
- Sound judgement and common sense approach to areas of responsibility.
- Excellent communication skills when working and corresponding with internal and external clients at all levels of seniority; able to act as an ambassador for the L&D team in all client contact.
- Excellent attention to detail and good use of grammar.
- Able to work independently and as a team player on a broad range of projects.
- Solid technical skills, including an advanced knowledge of Microsoft packages (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint). Ability to familiarise with new systems (such as Cornerstone and voting technology) quickly.
- Strong organisational skills, able to multi-task and resilient under pressure when working to tight deadlines.
- High level of professionalism and integrity; displays the highest standards of professional ethics.