Who we are
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We advise across the spectrum of legal matters including high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions, contentious matters and all aspects of risk. We deliver innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, domestically and internationally. We provide clear legal advice that spans the globe whilst tackling the cultural nuances between jurisdictions. Our lawyers understand how to coordinate and manage matters in the jurisdictions most relevant to our clients.
At Slaughter and May, with over 1,200 partners and staff worldwide, everyone's contribution is valued, and we all enjoy an open, friendly and supportive environment. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader To support our employees in achieving their professional development objectives, we offer an unrivalled variety of learning and development opportunities to everyone, as well as a highly competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. In light of the continuing coronavirus pandemic, the firm has evolved a new hybrid approach to working, which sees our people working between their respective remote environments and our prestigious Headquarters at One Bunhill Row, in the heart of the City of London.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are looking for a dynamic and engaging individual to join us as a Communications Manager within the London based central Communications Team.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious Communications Manager to demonstrate their rounded communications skills at one of the world’s most prestigious law firms. You will be as adept at developing relationships with key media and delivering proactive PR campaigns as you will be liaising with internal stakeholders to create engaging and creative internal communications campaigns.
The Communications Manager will report into the Head of Communications in a team which includes another Communications Manager and a Team Secretary. The team reports into the Business Development
Director and is part of, and works seamlessly with, the wider Business Development team. It serves the firm globally and works very closely with Senior Management, Partners and the HR, Innovation and Responsible Business teams in particular.
Communications at Slaughter and May has undergone significant change in the last few years and we have ambitious plans to develop an integrated approach to communications further in future.
Our internal communications has moved from centring on a hard copy magazine to a weekly digital magazine which has achieved great engagement with our people during the pandemic. This online magazine, the Weekly ONE, has increased knowledge about what is happening across the firm and provided an effective channel for the many different internal stakeholders to deliver their messages in a succinct and cohesive way. You will have an important role in building on this platform, developing creative and engaging campaigns, analysing better analytics and increasing the increasing the channels we use to reach and engage with our people.
Our proactive PR has also evolved and is now focused on key, strategic themes important to the firm including responsible business and innovation as well as topics important to our clients driven by our Horizon Scanning programme of thought leadership content. With the rest of the team, you will be focused on engaging with quality legal, national and trade media on these topics to raise the profile of our practice streams, enhance our reputation and deliver measurable, high quality coverage.
In addition to these proactive elements of the role, you will also be part of a busy team which handles reactive media enquiries and manages the firm’s reputation and brand. At any one time the team manages national, broadcast and legal trade media reporting on a range of issues. You will provide valuable insight and judgement on high profile matters on a wide range of issues which need to be handled carefully and sensitively.
The key responsibilities of this role may include some or all of the following:
- Develop and deliver high quality communications campaigns and content to internal and external audiences.
- Understand the firm’s approach to engagement and help drive engagement across the firm.
- Understand, protect and enhance the firm’s brand and reputation.
- Build a strong network across the business, at all levels in order to identify the right stories to tell proactively to the right audiences in a timely, engaging and compelling way.
- Support the management and development of the weekly internal newsletter – The Weekly One – as well as new channels.
- Build relationships with key media to support the profile raising of key practice streams and our insight and thought leadership on topics most relevant to clients.
- Help other departments, in particular HR, Responsible Business, and Innovation, manage and deploy their communications agendas, helping them shape and manage their messages.
- Ensure all central communications programmes are on brand and on message.
- Assist the Head of Communications in the delivery of updates from Senior Management into the business and to external media where appropriate.
- Build relationships across the firm which will aid understanding as to how messages will be viewed and received
- Explore internal comms best practice behaviours to spot new channels and analyzing data to determine ways of engaging our audience to ensure we are consistently innovating and improving.
- Collaborate and work closely with the Digital Team and in house design agency, OLIVER in the delivery of content.
- Manage day to day media enquiries and the delivery of the firm’s proactive news and external communications agenda.
Candidates for this position must have:
- Excellent internal communications and PR experience, based around delivery and engagement.
- Knowledge of the legal sector and professional services is preferable, whether in-house or within an agency environment
- Excellent communication skills (written, spoken and presentational).
- Attention to detail and good use of grammar.
- Empathy and an ability to build an understanding of the different audiences for internal comms.
- Confidence to develop rapport and strong working relationships with a diverse stakeholder base.
- Strong media relations skills and good judgement.
- Problem solving attitude and an ability and willingness to take the initiative and drive projects forwards.
- Ability to make appropriate challenge to the status quo.
- Proven ability to manage multiple deliverables within a tight timeframe and deliver high quality work.
- A good understanding of the digital comms landscape.
- Ability to be proactive, entrepreneurial and self-motivated.
- Ability to manage some external supplier relationships.
- Contributor to an inclusive team culture.
- High level of professionalism and integrity; displays the highest standard of professional ethics.
- Degree-educated or equivalent industry experience.
You will also be expected to display the attributes set out under the firm’s Key Behaviours for Business Services staff for this level of role. Below are the most relevant for this role:
- Technical & professional expertise
- Service excellence
- Drive to deliver
- Analysis & judgement
- Communication & influence
- Working with others
- Leading & managing people