Who we are
Slaughter and May is a leading international law firm, recognised throughout the business community for its exceptional legal service, commercial awareness and commitment to clients. We advise across the spectrum of legal matters including high-profile, ground-breaking and complex transactions, contentious matters and all aspects of risk. We deliver innovative and bespoke solutions to our clients, domestically and internationally. We provide clear legal advice that spans the globe whilst tackling the cultural nuances between jurisdictions. Our lawyers understand how to coordinate and manage matters in the jurisdictions most relevant to our clients.
We are now offering the opportunity to become part of our dynamic Client Facilities team, which supports our lawyers in providing first-class legal advice to some of the most prestigious and well-known global businesses.
At Slaughter and May, with over 1,200 partners and staff worldwide, everyone's contribution is valued, and we all enjoy an open, friendly and supportive environment. We have an underlying sense of pride in who we are and what we do, and our inclusive culture gives rise to a unique diversity of thinking, which is critical to our success and helps maintain our position as a true market leader. To support our employees in achieving their professional development objectives, we offer an unrivalled variety of learning and development opportunities to everyone, as well as a highly competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. In light of the continuing coronavirus pandemic, the firm has evolveda new hybrid approach to working, which sees our people working between their respective remote environments and our prestigious Headquarters at One Bunhill Row, in the heart of the City of London.
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for a professional, engaging individual to join our London-based Client Facilities team as a Senior Events Coordinator to support the Senior Events Manager with ensuring excellence is being delivered to the business.
We are recruiting a Senior Events Coordinator to work within the Client Facilities Events Team, forming part of the wider Business Services function and based at the firm’s Head Office in London.
The Client Facilities department headed up by Stephan Nel comprises 32 individuals across 3 separate teams, this role will be joining the Events team of 11. This role will report into the Senior Events Manager, Candice Ingram, and have wider interactions with rest of the Client Facilities department.
The Events Team are an integral part of Client Facilities and are responsible for the managing of approximately 300 events held every year for the entire firm. Therefore, developing strong working and personal relationships, built on confidence and confidentiality, is paramount.
The key responsibilities of this role are set out below – there may be others which are not listed.
The team are looking for someone to provide an efficient and professional Events service to all clients (internal and external). We also require candidates to demonstrate:
- End-to-end management of a variety of onsite and offsite events, virtual and hybrid events (including taking a brief, proposal creation, presentation of ideas and solutions, invitation and guest list management, production and management of hybrid events and rehearsals, and post event analysis and recommendations)
- Working closely with BD for the setting of event objectives in collaboration with the key stakeholders and measurement of success against these post event
- Creating event ROI data and reporting to key stakeholders
- Researching venues, suppliers, event tech and industry trends to maintain knowledge
- Leading logistical arrangements and liaison with the relevant internal teams, including catering porterage, audio visual, security and technology
- Creating invitations using e-marketing tool
- Supplier sourcing and management (obtaining quotes from suppliers and commercial negotiation, contract review and approval)
- Attending and contributing to team meetings
- Providing onsite support as part of the events team including meeting and greeting guests
- Working with internal creative team on the design and production of all event collateral
- Onsite management of events to ensure they run smoothly and as scoped
- Conducting site visits and other supplier meetings
- Producing and analysing evaluation feedback
- Advising and ensuring correct H&S and contingency procedures are adhered to during event execution
- Budget management ensuring all events stay within approved budget and processing of all related invoices
- Ensuring necessary licenses are obtained
- Creating a rota for onsite events team support at all events on a monthly basis
- Leading on or involvement in projects that improve the efficiency or internal profile of the team
- Assisting the Senior Events Manager and Assistant Events Manager with the event allocation process ensuring that workload is fairly distributed and key events are rotated amongst the team
- Building and maintaining a strong internal network with a variety of teams including the wider Client Services teams, Business Development, L&D and HR
- Driving events best practice and share industry knowledge with the wider team
Candidates for this position will be expected to have worked, or be working, in a similar role within a professional legal services environment. We also require candidates to demonstrate:
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages (in particular Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- A good working knowledge of virtual events and platforms. Preferably Webex and Swapcard.
- Resilience to dealing with change
- Strong focus on adding value to the firm, remaining solution focused when dealing with challenges
- Ability to deal with multiple demands, including prioritising conflicting demands whilst remaining calm under pressure
- Ability to present ideas clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles
- Meticulous attention to detail as well as the ability to prioritise, multi-task and work collaboratively within the team, the wider department and stakeholders as well as independently
- Ability to communicate comfortably and effectively at all levels and demonstrate assertiveness as appropriate
- Resilience in dealing with demanding individuals and robust when faced with challenges
- Awareness of cost control and budgeting
- A willingness to provide feedback, share information and contribute ideas and suggestions as necessary
- Ability to build strong business relationships with internal and external clients
- Experience of working in a diverse team whilst fostering an inclusive team culture
- High level of professionalism and integrity; displaying the highest standard of professional ethics and self-awareness
- Well presented – business smart as per the firms policy
- Flexibility with hours when required
The Senior Events Coordinator will also be expected to display the attributes set out under the firm’s Key Behaviours for Business Services staff for this level of role. Below are the most relevant for this role:
Technical & professional expertise
- Substantial knowledge and experience in a specialist area
- Demonstrates real commitment to clients, going out of own way to provide solutions that meet their needs
- Reviews own and others work to check for errors and ensure quality
Drive to deliver
- Operates self-sufficiently, taking responsibility for a range of assignments and projects
- Willingly takes on requests or problems that fall outside own remit or expertise
Analysis & judgement
- Exercises judgement within own area of responsibility
- Comes up with effective and well-considered solutions, thinking about their potential consequence
Communication & influence
- Comes across as assured and professionally credible when speaking
Working with others
- Actively builds contacts in other departments to improve understanding and identify opportunities
- Recognises when colleagues need help to deal with busy periods or unexpected challenges
- Copes calmly and flexibly with aggressive deadlines, unexpected problems or repeated changes to requirements