We have an opportunity for a junior to mid-level commercial IP associate, able to take on a wide range of non-contentious advisory and transactional IP work. About CMS
CMS is a Future Facing firm. With 80 offices in 50 countries and 5,000+ lawyers worldwide, we combine deep sector understanding with a global overview, giving us the ability not only to see what's coming, but to shape it.
CMS is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. Our bold approach to a changing future ensures that we nurture our employees and recruit top talent. About the Role
Our Band 1 ranked IP practice has an opportunity for a business-focused, junior to mid-level lawyer to join our prestigious team. Our multi-disciplinary team is probably the largest dedicated IP team in the UK, and is comprised of solicitors, solicitor-advocates, patent attorneys and trade mark attorneys. We conduct a wide range cutting-edge work, for clients ranging from the very largest blue-chip organisations to smaller commercial entities and start-ups.You would be involved with:
* A broad range of non-contentious IP matters.
* Advising on IP strategy, conducting IP audits for clients and advising generally on the protection, licensing and (if required) enforcement of IP rights.
* Leading the drafting and negotiation of a broad range of IP focused agreements such as settlement and co-existence agreements; licence, franchise and distribution agreements; IP assignments; collaboration and R&D agreements; sponsorship agreements; and/or technology transfer agreements.
* Supporting teams around the firm on the IP aspects of transactions, such as M&A deals and joint venture agreements, including conducting IP due diligence, drafting and negotiating IP warranties;
* Pitching to and developing professional relationships with clients
* Supporting the wider team in developing business and raising profile of the firm
* Business development opportunities
* A range of market leading sector-focused teams, including technology, life sciences, sustainable energy, betting & gaming and hotels. About You
The attributes we are seeking will include: * Appropriate level of post qualification experience in a City, major regional or leading international firm. To meet demands of the role we envisage the requisite experience to be in the region of 2-5 PQE.
* Strong knowledge of both IP law and Contract law and practice.
* Experience of drafting a range of commercial IP agreements and being involved in a variety of transactions involving IP rights.
* Experience of running your own files and assisting partners on more complex cases or matters/transactions
* Experience in handling clients in major blue chip companies
* Due to the role being client-facing you will need to have confidence, sound judgement, good interpersonal and consultancy skills Equal Opportunities
At CMS, a next-generation mindset is woven into all we do. We're diverse, supportive and inclusive, embracing our corporate social responsibility and creating a culture of sustainability in which every one of our people, whatever their background, can maximise their potential and thrive.
For further information about CMS' diversity initiatives and programmes, please click here
to view the diversity pages on our website.
Please apply online or contact a member of the Talent Acquisition team if you have any questions. For information regarding our competitive range of benefits please visit our Rewards & Benefits
page on our website.
Please note that CMS have a preferred agency panel in place. Only applications submitted via the portal at the point of instruction will be accepted.#LI-NH1